TechSpot

How do I correctly setup memtest

By Mutiny
Jan 4, 2008
  1. How can I correctly set up memtest to be bootable from a cdrom. Also the usage with windows thing. I have been trying to get it to work and it just wont give, any help would be much aprecciated.

2. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 668

Techspot has it`s own tutorial HERE

The main thing you have to remember regarding the CD method, is to burn

the iso file as an iso file and not a normal data CD.

3. Mutiny

Mutiny TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

So if there are any errors at all I should consider getting new ram?

4. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 668

Yes you should.

I`m assuming you have already posted about the crashes,

in the Windows OS forum.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

In most cases yes. I can only speak for 1 specific case, but there may be others: With an ASRock 775-DUAL-VSTA board there as a 'compatibility' mode for RAM, RAM may fail if compatibiity mode isn't enabled, but will pass if it is.

I think that particular board is very sensitive to RAM outside of compatibility mode - I had ram that failed, RMA'd it, got new it failed too, found out about compatability mode and it passed. I've since tried it in another motherboard and it passed.

6. Mutiny

Mutiny TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

Yea did the test and one of my sticks failed test 5 with like 6 errors. 713.3 mb and 729.3 mb location with 100 bit of error difference. It was only one stick that failed this.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

do not use the windows version of memtest. Use the DOS version. You will need to make a bootable CD rom or a bootable floppy drive. The floppy version is best.

Follow Po' girls directions.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.