How do I play an ISO file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

Hi,

(1) I have an ISO file that I would like to play without burning it to a DVD. Is there a way to play it right from my HDD ? If yes, do I need any software to do it ?

(2) Also I have a "Multimedia Tutorial" folder that has an exe which when I click asks me to install that program on my hard drive. Is there a way to play that Tutorial without actually installing it on my hard drive ?

Thank you.

You don't "play" ISO files or any other type of CD image. You need a piece of software, like DT as previously stated, that can "mount" the file on a virtual drive. This is basically the same exact thing as putting a "real" cdrom/dvdrom in an optical device only both the drive and the disk are "virtual." I use Alcohol 120% to mount and burn image files and it supports many formats. PowerISO is another good choice. All you need to do is run the software and mount the image (ISO in your case) on a virtual drive (which the software typically creates for you) and the application will run.

EXCellR8 said:
You don't "play" ISO files or any other type of CD image. You need a piece of software, like DT as previously stated, that can "mount" the file on a virtual drive. This is basically the same exact thing as putting a "real" cdrom/dvdrom in an optical device only both the drive and the disk are "virtual." I use Alcohol 120% to mount and burn image files and it supports many formats. PowerISO is another good choice. All you need to do is run the software and mount the image (ISO in your case) on a virtual drive (which the software typically creates for you) and the application will run.

First a great tutorial you gave me. Now I understand how it works.

Second I did mount the ISO on a virtual drive using Magic ISO that I had installed sometime ago but when I double click it, it just gives me the folder with exe in it. If I click that exe, it asks me to Install the DVD.

I have VLC player & Windows media player 11.0 installed.

Can you tell me how to play using VLC player ?

Thank You.

I'm guessing that the ISO you have is for a movie, is that correct? I haven't used VLC player before but I might be able to give you an idea how to make it run. Is there some kind of option/setting in the player that allows you to browse for files on your installed drives? If so, perhaps you could select the virtual drive that the image file is mounted on and have it run that way. Also; as a side note, MagicISO doesn't need to be open for the image to stay mounted... you can close it if you wish.

EXCellR8 said:
I'm guessing that the ISO you have is for a movie, is that correct? I haven't used VLC player before but I might be able to give you an idea how to make it run. Is there some kind of option/setting in the player that allows you to browse for files on your installed drives? If so, perhaps you could select the virtual drive that the image file is mounted on and have it run that way. Also; as a side note, MagicISO doesn't need to be open for the image to stay mounted... you can close it if you wish.

I just checked VLC player & it does have File -> Open -> Disk and 4 choices

DVD(Menu)
DVd
VCD
Audio CD

I tried to choose all of them one by one but it will not play.

I also tried right click the mounted drive & it did give me a choice of playing using Win Media Player but I have not installed codec for Win Media Player or any kind of codec packs so it just plays sound & no video.

I am thinking about installing K Lite Mega Codec but it has so many options that confused me so I have not installed it.

Is K Lite Mega Pack a good Codec & should I just install it with default settings OR is it too big & will consume lot of CPU power ?

robertq said:
Hi,
(2) Also I have a "Multimedia Tutorial" folder that has an exe which when I click asks me to install that program on my hard drive. Is there a way to play that Tutorial without actually installing it on my hard drive ?

Thank you.

Not all .exe files are actually programs that install. The thing here is, if you trust the source, run it, if not, don't.

The free version of "Daemon Tools" comes with Adware. You can opt out of installing it by unchecking a box on one of the install screens. If you're going to install this program, read each screen carefully.

Why don't you just install the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack? When the installation comes to the screen where it asks you what components you want to install, just check everything except the Morgan Mixer option. Then mount your DVD again and try playing it through WMP.

And no, the K-Lite Codec Pack is a great pack and will not cause any harm to your system.

captaincranky said:
Not all .exe files are actually programs that install. The thing here is, if you trust the source, run it, if not, don't.

The free version of "Daemon Tools" comes with Adware. You can opt out of installing it by unchecking a box on one of the install screens. If you're going to install this program, read each screen carefully.

It is just a Tutorial CD that will play only if I install it but I don't want to fill my hard drive with too many programs so I rather play it some other way.

Now how do I do that easily ?

I am attaching the the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back