How do I turn on hardware acceleration?

By Doctor Gallop
Aug 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and every time I try to play a game I get a pop up window...image attached.
    How do I turn it on like the pop up window says to do?
    Would appreciate an answer in layman's terms....I not a computer geek.
    Thanks guy's

Attached Files:

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TechSpot Booster Posts: 863   +35

What graphics card are you using?
  3. Doctor Gallop

Doctor Gallop TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 146

??

My friend, please forgive my ignorance...but how do I find that out?
  4. Mizzou

Mizzou TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 930

We could start off by downloading and running a basic information utility like cpuz which is available here. The CPU, Mainboard, Memory and Graphics tabs will identify the core components of your system which would give us a starting point.
  5. Doctor Gallop

I attached the results

Thank you for your help...I attached the images of the read out.

Attached Files:

6. Rabbit01

Looks like it's a Radeon 9550 or 9600. These will support up to DirectX 9. Try running DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click Start, then type dxdiag.exe in the box. Click on the file to run it. After the tests are complete, click on the Display tab. See what DirectX features are enabled/disabled, in the note box, see what problems are listed. Better yet, include a screen cap please.
  7. Doctor Gallop

DirectX test

images of results attached.

Attached Files:

8. Rabbit01

Very strange. I have no idea why "n/a" is shown and not the actual product info. Based on info from CPU-Z, an ATI RV350 is either a Radeon 9600 or 9550. Both of these are classified as legacy products and the latest Catalyst software suite will not support either. Version 9.3 and older will, however. A little digging through the ATI forum showed that some people have issues w/ installing v9.3 in Win7. But v8.7 works.

It can be found here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/8-7/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?&lang=English

Get the full software suite from Option 1.

p.s. Before you install the driver, create a restore point just in case the new drivers don't work. Click Start, then type restore point. Then you'll see Create a Restore Point. Click on that. The C: drive should have protection turned On. Click Create. Give it a name, then click Create.
  9. Doctor Gallop

It can be found here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/8-7/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?&lang=English

Get the full software suite from Option 1.

p.s. Before you install the driver, create a restore point just in case the new drivers don't work. Click Start, then type restore point. Then you'll see Create a Restore Point. Click on that. The C: drive should have protection turned On. Click Create. Give it a name, then click Create.[/QUOTE]

I installed "option 1 suite" but nothing has changed...still get the original pop up window.
    But I want to thank you very much for your time and trouble in trying to help fix the problem.
  10. Rabbit01

No problem. Do you still get the same results in DirectX Diagnostic Tool? This is what mine looks like, no blanks.

Something else to try is go to Microsoft and download & run the DirectX web installer. It'll search your system & update any missing DirectX related files.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

Attached Files:

11. MyPCRunsMe

MyPCRunsMe Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

what the...

I thought hardware acceleration is for browsers only?
  12. Mizzou

Mizzou TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 930

This is likely a driver problem and as Rabbit01 has noted it appears your card appears to be a HD 9600 or HD 9600 Pro. Need to know if you are running XP or Vista to determine the proper driver to load. Also, could try running gpu-z to see if we get a positive identification on your graphics card ... that's available here.

If you are running XP the legacy Catalyst release for the Radeon 9xxx series is available on the AMD site at the following link: Catalyst 10.2
  13. Rabbit01

I believe since Adobe Flash Player v10.1, hardware acceleration can be done on certain videos. But that's a fairly recent thing. Before this, it was mainly for gaming.

p.s. There's also hardware accelerated decoding of videos (non-Flash) encoded in H.264.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.