How do I turn on hardware acceleration?

Doctor Gallop

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and every time I try to play a game I get a pop up window...image attached.
How do I turn it on like the pop up window says to do?
Would appreciate an answer in layman's terms....I not a computer geek.
Thanks guy's

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 16
We could start off by downloading and running a basic information utility like cpuz which is available here. The CPU, Mainboard, Memory and Graphics tabs will identify the core components of your system which would give us a starting point.

I attached the results

We could start off by downloading and running a basic information utility like cpuz which is available here. The CPU, Mainboard, Memory and Graphics tabs will identify the core components of your system which would give us a starting point.

Thank you for your help...I attached the images of the read out.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 11
  • Untitled 3.jpg
    Untitled 3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 9
Looks like it's a Radeon 9550 or 9600. These will support up to DirectX 9. Try running DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click Start, then type dxdiag.exe in the box. Click on the file to run it. After the tests are complete, click on the Display tab. See what DirectX features are enabled/disabled, in the note box, see what problems are listed. Better yet, include a screen cap please.

DirectX test

Looks like it's a Radeon 9550 or 9600. These will support up to DirectX 9. Try running DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Click Start, then type dxdiag.exe in the box. Click on the file to run it. After the tests are complete, click on the Display tab. See what DirectX features are enabled/disabled, in the note box, see what problems are listed. Better yet, include a screen cap please.

images of results attached.

Attachments

• Direct X.jpg
    Direct X.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Direct X 2.jpg
    Direct X 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 5
Very strange. I have no idea why "n/a" is shown and not the actual product info. Based on info from CPU-Z, an ATI RV350 is either a Radeon 9600 or 9550. Both of these are classified as legacy products and the latest Catalyst software suite will not support either. Version 9.3 and older will, however. A little digging through the ATI forum showed that some people have issues w/ installing v9.3 in Win7. But v8.7 works.

It can be found here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/8-7/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?&lang=English

Get the full software suite from Option 1.

p.s. Before you install the driver, create a restore point just in case the new drivers don't work. Click Start, then type restore point. Then you'll see Create a Restore Point. Click on that. The C: drive should have protection turned On. Click Create. Give it a name, then click Create.

It can be found here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/8-7/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?&lang=English

Get the full software suite from Option 1.

p.s. Before you install the driver, create a restore point just in case the new drivers don't work. Click Start, then type restore point. Then you'll see Create a Restore Point. Click on that. The C: drive should have protection turned On. Click Create. Give it a name, then click Create.[/QUOTE]

I installed "option 1 suite" but nothing has changed...still get the original pop up window.
But I want to thank you very much for your time and trouble in trying to help fix the problem.

what the...

I thought hardware acceleration is for browsers only?

This is likely a driver problem and as Rabbit01 has noted it appears your card appears to be a HD 9600 or HD 9600 Pro. Need to know if you are running XP or Vista to determine the proper driver to load. Also, could try running gpu-z to see if we get a positive identification on your graphics card ... that's available here.

If you are running XP the legacy Catalyst release for the Radeon 9xxx series is available on the AMD site at the following link: Catalyst 10.2

I thought hardware acceleration is for browsers only?

I believe since Adobe Flash Player v10.1, hardware acceleration can be done on certain videos. But that's a fairly recent thing. Before this, it was mainly for gaming.

p.s. There's also hardware accelerated decoding of videos (non-Flash) encoded in H.264.

Back