TechSpot

How do I upgrade to a new mobo

By Shatarupa
Nov 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi I want to boost my PC and I have a old Asus Motherboard.I was planning to upgrade to a Biostar Motherboard but am nor sure.Will the new PSU work on my old mobo?

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,262   +541

There are more concerns you should look at first, for starters is the socket type the same or do you plan on getting a new CPU along with it. Plus in my book, going from an Asus to a Biostar would be a down grade, why don't you post your specs and we can give you some assistance on upgrading your machine as just swapping boards would not change much if anything.

But to answer your question, Yes the PSU will still work.

3. Shatarupa

Shatarupa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey thanks for this information. But may I know why you have this perception about Biostar?Just anxious.I will share the details.

4. GhostRyder

In all my years of building computers for myself and others or just being in groups who build computers and machines regularly I have had this many boards come DOA (Dead on arrival) heres been my results (These are independent results from just my experience FYI)

Asus Boards: 1
    Gigabyte: 2
    MSI: 0
    Asrock: 2
    Biostar: 7

Biostar board are very "Cheap" boards and have very cheap components. I do not like their boards pretty much at all because of that and I feel it becomes more about luck of the draw from them. The HiFi series from Biostar are OK boards, but I would definitely choose a cheaper Asus board/Similarly priced way over a biostar even if the biostar had better specs. If you want an inexpensive board with decent specs I would go Asrock boards way over a Biostar as ive had better luck and most people report the same. In recent years Asrock has done a better job of quality in my book.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,097   +1,522

I buy MSI (may change in the future), but if I was to recommend a board, I'd recommend them in the order GhostRyder listed above. I might list Gigabyte first though, but that has nothing to do with personal experience as I've not ever had a Gigabyte board. I've been part of the forum life for several years and the two boards most often recommended are ASUS and Gigabyte. Gigabyte from my point of view, seems to have the highest praise amount other forum members.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

I really dont think upgrading a mobo will boost PC performance. What are your current specs?

7. Shatarupa

Yup I also somewhat agree with
    Hey I somewhat agree but I guess being in this arena we should also try and gauge the usability of other brands as well .We sometimes just go by what other people say but since I have tested it once I believe Biostar is a pretty decent brand.I will share my specs.

8. Shatarupa

Hey thanks.My PC config is:
    I5-2500k
    amd hd 6950 2gb
    cm 600w psu
    8gb 1333mhz ram
    rosewill challenger cabinet
    250gb hdd

I can spend upto 200$(rs 10000) on mobo. I hv heard that z68 chipset will support the upcoming ivy bridge. If it is true then I can go for biostar tz68k+ otherwise asus p8h67-m pro will be fine(I think).

Let me know.

9. Shatarupa

I was wondering what everyone suggested for a motherboard for a gaming computer. I haven't order any other parts yet, but I'd like it to be intel, and fit into the antec 900. I need such kind of a motherboard where the new generation computer games can fit like Bitcoin mining etc

Please feel free to suggest any motherboards!

10. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

This doesn't necessarily make sense. Anyways, any standard ATX mobo will fit in the Antec 900. You'll need to tell us the specific processor you're getting if you want us to give you any suggestions.

11. GhostRyder

Well really, the best boards depend on the company of course and in any sense they dont make much of a difference anymore in the gaming sense. If you want a suggestion on just the best boards, heres my opinion on the matter:

Asus Z87 or 990FX boards depending on the brand will be the most powerful with features.
    MSI z87 or 990FX for cost effective while offering alot
    Gigabyte Z87 or 990FX are some of the best as well, but come at a price

Those would be my recomendations

12. Shatarupa

Thanks for these recommendations. I think I will look at each one of these products and then decide,Infact I too was trying to do a bit of research on this and came to figure out another brand Biostar , Hi-Fi H81S2 http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=658 which is modelled for this gaming...what do u think?

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,097   +1,522

Hope you didn't spend much for the 9800 GTX. In my opinion you would have been better off getting a GTX 650.

GeForce 9800 GTX vs GeForce GTX 650

Any motherboard that fits your case, and has a PCIe x16 slot will work. However our thoughts on which manufacturers are better may differ. A few of us have mentioned our preferences above. As for the rest, the phrase "You get what you pay for." applies. There are reasons why products cost less, because the product usually is less. The only real question, is what each of us are willing to settle for.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.