How does RAID 1 work?

pioneerx01

Ok, slightly trick question, but since you are already here maybe you can look at the real question:

In two drive RAID 1 one of the drives is the source and other is the mirror. My definition of the RAID 1 they should both keep identical set of data. If I take one drive out and plug it into another computer will I be able to access the data easily?

Thanks and sorry :)

dividebyzero, are u saying I could set up a RAID1 and backup a storage drive to another on the computer, and not have the C: drive RAIDED? Would I have to have everything the same, or could I just plug the second in, setup RAID1 and have the D: drive drive backed up?

and sorry for disturbing y'alls discussion.

nickc

As we're all saying RAID-1 for the OS is a poor choice (even MS doesn't recommend it),
and (especially with Hot-Swap capability), you can yank one, keep the system running, and
use the other as a psuedo-backup.

Mounting it on an alternate system can be dicie - - that system must have a raid controller,
from the same manufacture, and have nothing else active.
WHY? Raid-x is not the same filesystem as FAT32, Vfat32, or NTFS.
Mounting a raid-x volume to a standard SATA or PATA cable will ace the data :(

joebeard, how could u, Mounting a raid-x volume to a standard SATA or will ace the data, when u can only mount one device to a cable. but what I was actually asking was, can I raid two drives to backup, and do I have to have exactly the same data an both drives when I start?
nickc

There are several kinds of raids including the onboard adaptors and external enclosures which can be SATA, PATA and even SCSI. The control attaches to two or more HDs
with cables. It would be easy to make the mistake noted above.

have a good day

Back