How long will DX10 be useful? Please assist me with your opinions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGEtheBEAST

I NEED new graphics card and I want an ATI. I was wondering if I should buy one of the 4800 series or wait for DX11 to come out with the 5800 series. I don't want to have to spend way more than $200 and some really nice 4800s are cheap but if I wont be able to use them in a year...idk. Please help me decide. This is not a matter of what my machine can handle so I didn't bother listing specs. Thanks!

Just because your card doesn't support DX11 technologies doesn't mean it can't run games that are optimized for DX11. Just get the DX10 card, it isn't going to magically become broken when a DX11 game is released, you just won't get whatever supercrazyawesome crap DX11 adds to the game.

you just won't get whatever supercrazyawesome crap DX11 adds to the game.

well if you like to be immersed in your games...that "supercrazyawesome crap" is kind of important....and kind of the point. otherwise he can just get a copy of 'Amber" and be happy with that. :)

well if you like to be immersed in your games...that "supercrazyawesome crap" is kind of important....and kind of the point. otherwise he can just get a copy of 'Amber" and be happy with that. :)

And you'll spend 80% of your time waiting and 20% of your time 'being happy' if you continually wait for the next gen.

And you'll spend 80% of your time waiting and 20% of your time 'being happy' if you continually wait for the next gen.

now cut that out! LOL, i figure if I buy 4 DX11 cards this October....and im going to...it will be 2 years until DX12 is out. So when I get shot in Crysis2, and I actually bleed....i will be happy!

Ok, I'll give you that :) I've got a DX10 card, I got it a long time ago, so in theory I've had a long time to enjoy DX10 games.

But in reality, (I don't game much), and Crysis, the only DX10 game I own and my card isn't powerful enough to take advantage of the DX10 stuff. I wonder, if this dude waits until the first round of DX11 cards come out he'll end up like I am, unable to really take advantage of the benefits of that version of DX.

So my advice, buy the best DX10 card you can afford now, and enjoy it.

go with DX10 or u will have to wait for the launch........................and then for the prices to drop!

I wonder, if this dude waits until the first round of DX11 cards come out he'll end up like I am, unable to really take advantage of the benefits of that version of DX.

yeah that's a valid point SNGX, but from what i have been able to flush out about DX11's launching, AMD is taking extraordinary efforts to make sure that DX11 gets,and has software companies on board so its not the DX10=Vista disaster that we all watched.

Cool, thanks guys. I suppose I will go with the DX10 then. Now as for what brand, how much memory, gpu speed (all in the ATI family) is where I will make decision but feel free to add your input. Thanks again with all the responses as you have made my decision easier by far.

There are loads of people that are still playing with dx9 and completely happy with their xp systems. Remember there was a huge issue with people wanting to revert from vista to xp. Now go and google how old dx9 is, and you can close this thread and get a good idea of how safe dx10 is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back