TechSpot

How many G networks can you have

By matt1522
Jun 23, 2009
  1. My whole network keep going down(Wired and wireless), I suspect the reason is that there are too many G networks around me and it is interfering with my router and it keeps restarting to find a usable channel, But because I know just enough to install and secure the wireless router i wanted another opinion. So is it possible that my network keeps crashing because of the many other wireless networks within range( I count 10 right now all G, about 90% secured ).

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

You need to make sure that the connecting cables are shielded and are of hi quality

3. matt1522

matt1522 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 96

You are correct the cables are unshielded and it would be a good idea to get shielded twisted pair, but the problem only started 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. When the internet works it is really fast so i dont think there is interference on the line at least not alot

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

G routers use channels 1-11 domestically and Europe has chn #12 also.

Determine which network SSIDs are using which channel AND
    which are encrypted vs unencrypted --
    now move yours to an unused channel or at least the channel with the lowest use count.

You should use encryption in this order of preference {WPA2, WPA, WEP}.
    If all fail, then look for new firmware for the router.

5. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX TS Rookie Posts: 359

Start by disabling your wireless transmissions, and only running the internet to a computer using cables.

This will help determine if its more of a wireless problem, i.e., interference, or an internet problem.

6. matt1522

matt1522 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 96

I recounted the wireless and found 11 wireless networks(mine currently is disabled) so that uses up all of the channels I guess my question now is can two wireless netwoks be on the same channel at the same time and still work

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Yes, but while in use, the other network suffers.

Your best bet is get a 5GHz router and wireless card so you can avoid this all together.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.