TechSpot

How many G networks can you have

By matt1522
Jun 23, 2009
  1. My whole network keep going down(Wired and wireless), I suspect the reason is that there are too many G networks around me and it is interfering with my router and it keeps restarting to find a usable channel, But because I know just enough to install and secure the wireless router i wanted another opinion. So is it possible that my network keeps crashing because of the many other wireless networks within range( I count 10 right now all G, about 90% secured ).

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,230   +232

You need to make sure that the connecting cables are shielded and are of hi quality

3. matt1522

matt1522 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 81

You are correct the cables are unshielded and it would be a good idea to get shielded twisted pair, but the problem only started 2 maybe 3 weeks ago. When the internet works it is really fast so i dont think there is interference on the line at least not alot

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,098   +592

G routers use channels 1-11 domestically and Europe has chn #12 also.

Determine which network SSIDs are using which channel AND
    which are encrypted vs unencrypted --
    now move yours to an unused channel or at least the channel with the lowest use count.

You should use encryption in this order of preference {WPA2, WPA, WEP}.
    If all fail, then look for new firmware for the router.

5. Ph30nIX

Ph30nIX TS Rookie Posts: 243

Start by disabling your wireless transmissions, and only running the internet to a computer using cables.

This will help determine if its more of a wireless problem, i.e., interference, or an internet problem.

6. matt1522

matt1522 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 81

I recounted the wireless and found 11 wireless networks(mine currently is disabled) so that uses up all of the channels I guess my question now is can two wireless netwoks be on the same channel at the same time and still work

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Yes, but while in use, the other network suffers.

Your best bet is get a 5GHz router and wireless card so you can avoid this all together.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.