How many of us use a shared PC at home?

What is the PC-per-person arrangement in your home?

• You have one family PC?

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • You have your PC, and everybody else uses another?

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • There's a PC for each family member?

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Lou3

Is your PC shared by family, is there one for you and another for everybody else, or is there a PC for each family member?

I currently share my PC with my wife, which can be a problem at times. Instead of recycling parts from my current PC for the new one I'm building, I'm thinking about just giving her this one and building an entirely new one for myself. That will add an extra few hundred to the tab (new monitor, keyboard, mouse, drives, and case) and require us to make space for an extra PC, but I think I'd rather do it and have my new PC to myself.

I live by myself. So I have 6 computers that are only used by me.

Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz HiRes (Leopard)
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.83Ghz (Leopard)
Power Macintosh G4 450Mhz (Leopard)
1.5 Ghz Via C7 as a Server (Windows 2000)
2.13Ghz Core2Duo for main PC and gaming (Vista)
2.0 Ghz Core2Duo older games (Windows XP x64)

Well, I have my crazy frankenstien Opteron rig running Ubuntu 8.04 and a bunch of other PC's lying around. But my mom has a good PC that I had lying around in pieces. It's a Dell Dimension E510 with a 2.8GHz Pentium D, 3GB of DDR2-533, and an ATi Radeon X800 Pro 256MB so it's not too bad.

There is just my wife and me. I just built one for her and I have the other four. :)

I have two machines I use for just me. One is a laptop that is used as my workstation, and also comes with me when I travel. The other is a gaming desktop that I use only when I'm playing games.

My girlfriend has a machine setup for her next to mine.

I also have a fileserver and a media PC in the living room

It's just my girlfriend and me

I have one wife, two kids, and seven computers at home. The wife and kids each have their own dedicated machine and I play around with the rest. Though, full disclosure-wise, one of my machines is an old laptop with Win 98SE that I only really use for a couple of old email accounts that I check every once in a while.

Well I've got a laptop of my own. My bro, mom and dad have their own computers (though we tend to all share my dads) and we have two extra computers as well, while in good working condition, we barely use.

both personal and common use PCs work and you can avoid 99% of the problems
(ignoring two people wanting to use it at the same time) by:
  1. creating separate login IDs for everyone
  2. making all user Limited Accounts
  3. keeping the Admin password to yourself :0

Yes, all limited accounts will not be able to install programs -- but that's 1/2 of the idea here --
exercise control on what is on the system.

289db5d44f06a31be775b8afbcfef7985g.jpg

I use Microsoft Steady State to create the accounts beyond what Limited Accounts can offere for when the nephew and nieces comes over max protection keeps them from doing harm. Without it they always do. Otherwise it's just me and the wife and two dogs. I have full network beyond what I need and keep adding to it. Time limit feature pops-up to warn them 60 mins and the system will shutdown and off. No kids can save or change the desktop or laptop in anyway. No USB zip can be used. Desktop is play jane look, Web sites can be block no Java Client can be launched an etc.

Although I have it on older laptops running Windows 3.1 on IBM ThinkPad still works CTX with Windows 95 and TECRA 150MHz with Windows 98.
Windows 2000 Professional Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows Vista Business
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008

15x systems active, 7 network media streaming players, 4 wireless laptops, 2 desktops, 2 servers
2x Wireless G Access Points Running dd-wrt v2.4 sp1
1x Wireless G Client Bridge running dd-wrt v2.4 sp1
1x DLINK DIR-655 A3/1.11 Xtreme N Router (G mode now the design layout is for N, coming in)
2x Netgear Gig Unmanaged Switches
5x Netgear 10/100 switches mix of 5/8 ports

Back