How much better is FX 5200 than Mx 440?

By Amitad
Mar 3, 2004
  1. Hi everyone,
    Can anyone pls tell me How much better is FX 5200 than Mx 440?(since FX 5200 is supposed to be a replacement for Mx 440).I have a Gs Force 2Mx 400(with 64 MB Ram).If I go in for FX 5200 Will I see Significant improvement in framerate in games like say Splinter cell,POP-SoT etc?
  2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,512

If you get the FX5200 Ultra, you might see an increase, but if you get the regular non-ultra version, I doubt it.

The FX5200 is a POS imo, and not worth it's price by any means.

Yes, it's being sold as an entry-level card (price-wise), but it can't even compete in that area.

Instead, try to see if you can't get a GF4 ti4200, which is a much better card, and it will even be more future proof than the FX.

Or you could look at some of ATI's offerings, which isn't too bad. The 9200 is a Radeon 8500 with a few minor modifications which would give around the same increase as the ti4200, but is more easily available.
  3. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 269

Under no circumstances by a FX5200 or anything in the Ge4MX range - because they are both basiclly rubbish.
    If you can get hold of a Ti4200 jump on it sharpish - that will give you a massive performance boost (for example it will actually let you play POP - your Ge2 wont). If a 4200 is not avaliable a 5600 128 should come fairly cheap - not a great card by any means but many times better than a Ge2MX. You need to look at spending about £130 before you get on to the acceptable mid-range - but a 5600 (ultra preferably) would suit fine.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.