How much better will HD movies look on a 64bit video player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

I have windows 7(64 bit) but I notice windows media player and vlc are both 32 bit players. Would videos(High Quality Movies) look a lot better(or better at all?) on a 64bit player? Anyone have a suggestion of a good 64 bit media player?

I read that vlc's core is not setup for 64bit so even if they changed it, you wouldn't get much out of it. Also I guess they use linux to create it and thats 32 bit, don't know why that matters but I read that as well. The reason I mention this is because I know there is a way to make your windows media player into 64 bit, but I would guess since its core is probably not set up for just like vlc that it would be pointless.

If you want to see my full specs they are in my spec thingy.

My current monitor is 1680x1050 res, hd.

You may look at Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64; I've been using it for a while now; no issues at all; and quality (though it depends on the encoding as well) is pretty damn good. You have a very good graphics card; you can even configure shaders to improve the quality of your videos. There is a very good article explaining few options in this regard on guru3d. You can fiddle around to find which settings will be of your liking/taste. I hope this will be of some value for you.

I think VLC is a very good player; but personally on more subjective note I never liked it.

W7's WMP 12 is both x86 and x64. Choosing the 64-bit as default seems to be a bit problematic but downloading the codecs (and/or here )will enable 64-bit playback.
WMP12 is set with 32 bit playback to avoid problems with files migrating from earlier systems by users.

You may look at Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64; I've been using it for a while now; no issues at all; and quality (though it depends on the encoding as well) is pretty damn good. You have a very good graphics card; you can even configure shaders to improve the quality of your videos. There is a very good article explaining few options in this regard on guru3d. You can fiddle around to find which settings will be of your liking/taste. I hope this will be of some value for you.

I think VLC is a very good player; but personally on more subjective note I never liked it.

Well I just read that whole article and I feel a little smarter, definitely got some more wrinkles on my brain. Its pretty sad that they don't have a media player out there built by graphics card companies or micrsoft (windows 7 which boasts so much about its amazing new video features) that enables optimum settings for your system. Or at the very least lets you pick them yourself. Thanks again, iv got a lot of fiddling around to do with this amazing new player. If you never see me on here again that mean I blew myself by enabling all the shaders.

By the way I picked what he said to pick for vista, since he doesn't mention win7, because its before win7's time. Hmm it would be nice to know what all does what and whats the best thing for me to change.

Ok I just compared it to vlc on the 20th century fox thing and the colors are better, the colors in peoples faces are also better. How do I get the grainy look out of the occasional grainy video?

I think I this computer can handle every shader thrown at it, but im not sure what to pick, some might cross others.

And whats screen place shader spacers :).

I am not sure what you mean there; but I think you are talking about this.

Open a video you'd want to play and go to Play menu then to shaders, and click on combine shaders. (as illustrated in the picture)

Here is the link for support forums of MPC-HC. Also you can download help by click on help menu. :D

Attachments

• MPC-HC Shaders setup.jpg
    MPC-HC Shaders setup.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 6
There shouldn't be any difference in how a video is displayed on your screen whether it is x86 or x64. Different players will look differently out of the box because of the decoder and settings used. That should be configurable in VLC or MPC.

I figured my 64 bit desktop wall paper looks much better then my old 32 bit and I assumed video could benefit from it as well.

There shouldn't be any difference in how a video is displayed on your screen whether it is x86 or x64. Different players will look differently out of the box because of the decoder and settings used. That should be configurable in VLC or MPC.

Exactly, I don't think anyone was implying that either. As i commented above liking one particular player over another is simply an 'subjective' issue, as usually all the players are pretty much same.

I figured my 64 bit desktop wall paper looks much better then my old 32 bit and I assumed video could benefit from it as well.

Well it probably either has to do with the display driver configuration of your earlier setup or with quality of your monitor (provided you have changed it).

This is the confusion I was hoping to not promote here - which is why I'm glad SN finally posted what he did. You are not going to see a difference in quality between your 32-bit wallpaper image and YOUR 64-bit wallpaper image if that is what it actually is. It's very highly unlikely that you have a 64-bit image, I don't even know what you would use to capture/manipulate an image of that bit depth.

I understood what you were getting at Archean, but not everyone might and I don't think it was clear enough that you were only addressing the options for 64-bit media players - not that the media was 64-bit anything.

Yes I will agree with you, their is no difference between the images or playback between x86 or x64 windows; the later only make your applications run slightly better (i dont want to bring all the technicalities here, as they are pretty much irrelevant for this particular issue). But it doesn't mean that multimedia applications like video players will produce superior image quality on x64; it remains the same. However, as I mentioned above the way you configure your video playback filters in whichever player you are using will going to make a difference with regard to your playback; e.g. if i select sharpen complex in MPC-HC, it produces a more crispier but darker image ...... but mind that with exact same settings the result again is absolutely same in x86 or x64 windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back