How much exactly does a processor affect gaming?

ttgavenged

Hey fellow nerds, I have Black Ops for PC, runs decent. 25ishFPS at medium settings. Highest settings, about 15FPS. It's OK.

MY SPECS:
Quad core AMD A8-3800 (each is 2.4GHz, rated at 5.40GHz!)
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB HDD
Genuine Win 7 Home Premium
AMD Radeon HD 6550D

QUESTION! Now I can play something like GTA, on medium settings, and I get like 7-12FPS. For the love of god WHY! Is it JUST my processor, Is itJUST my Integrated graphics card, is it multiple things? What? I want to play GTA 5 when it comes out and enjoy a good 30FPS or more. But I have vodka taste, beer pockets. Please help, also I would love to NOT upgrade my processor!

You need a discreet GPU. You are going to probably need to replace your PSU as well. Do you know the brand/model and how many watts your current PSU is? I can't believe you are playing any game @ 7-15 FPS. Add a GTX 460 and you will be playing @ 60+ FPS on most games on medium and @ 35-40 on most high settings. FYI, integrated graphics are not intended for gaming. As far as processors, gpu and gaming go you will fall into one of two bottlenecking categories....You need to find the happy medium.
Slow CPU and Fast GPU
Fast CPU and Slow GPU

You need a discreet GPU. You are going to probably need to replace your PSU as well. Do you know the brand/model and how many watts your current PSU is? I can't believe you are playing any game @ 7-15 FPS. Add a GT 460 and you will be playing @ 60+ FPS on most games on medium and @ 35-40 on most high settings. FYI, integrated graphics are not intended for gaming.

So it IS MY GPU!!! YYEEEAAA! Lol sorry, I'm just happy I don't have to spend $500 now. :)

Why don't you guys read Koroush Ghazi?

I don't think all the tweaks in the world will help an IGP run the games being discussed..

I should add that he needn't spend $500.oo dollars for a decent add-in card either.

The GT-460 upgrade was a good call. I'm not sure how many of them are still around though.

I should probably do some "dry shopping" at Newegg to find out.

Edit: This looks pretty worthwhile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130752

Now I'm in a quandary, I don't know whether to chastise both of you for being d***s, or ask for your autographs...:rolleyes:

I would expect you to chastise me, but anyway

To the OP I'd definately recommend a gpu Upgrade. It will help you get closer to being satisfied.

Back