How much faster is Q6600 over Celeron e3300?

Was interested in the performance difference having had a Q6600 so had a look at DBZs link. On the last image it indexes all the tested processors overall performance with Q6600 being the base at 100. Celeron E3300 gets 58.2.

In the game benchmarks Q6600 pulled another 10 FPS on average.

Benchmarks like that are inaccurate, i was curious from hearing someone who had similar cpus. But thanks anyways, i will find out today, i already know i will get a major boost, just was curious thats all.

peace

Benchmarks like that are inaccurate, i was curious from hearing someone who had similar cpus. But thanks anyways, i will find out today, i already know i will get a major boost, just was curious thats all.

peace

Went from an Athlon 64 to Q6600 so unfortunately can't share real world experience of going from Celeron E3300 to a Core 2 Quad 6600. Let us know how it compares though ;)

peace
Well, going from a Celeron E3300 to a Core2 Quad Q6600, seems like a fairly unique upgrade path. I doubt that people will be lined up around to the block to come up with the answer you want to hear, at least not from personal experience.

I assume that now, as in the past, you will do whatever you've got your heart set on doing, irregardless of any input from the members of Techspot.

The E-3300 has a slightly higher native clock speed than the Q-6600, (2.5 vs 2.4Ghz). In many single threaded apps, you might not notice a difference. However in multi threaded applications the Q6600 will win. (The Q-6600) also has a much larger L2 cache. However, that advantage is also a bit application dependent).

So, going beyond that, I'm truly sorry that the benchmarks on the web aren't telling what you want to hear either, but I'm not responsible for that, nor am I able to rectify it.

Let us know how you make out. I'm sure that whatever you do, it will be the best thing you could have possibly done. (At least according to you).

You don't really mention anything about what applications you're looking at ect...
For CPU heavy multi-threaded stuff, I would estimate about 100% increase.
As said, with single or dual threaded applications, I would think you'd have minimal improvements.

I assume that now, as in the past, you will do whatever you've got your heart set on doing, irregardless of any input from the members of Techspot.

Let us know how you make out. I'm sure that whatever you do, it will be the best thing you could have possibly done. (At least according to you).
:haha:
I always wonder about those threads where people start out with something like "I already bought all this stuff, but I'm going to ask advice about what I should buy anyway".
Logically I think you would inquire first, then buy after consultation. It seems like a non sequitur to go the other way around.

Let us know how you make out....
I think thats implied, if not guaranteed. Our OP is basically wanting to tell the world+dog what their new upgrade is, and rather than sounding like a prize douche couches the info inside a question/public service announcement that is probably of interest to maybe two people worldwide. A very sly tactic that will dupe everyone, everytime.

I look forward to the next installment (and the one after that, and the one...) probably entitled "How can I get my Q6600 past the already awesome 3GHz* overclock I already have"

* 333 FSB x 9 multi...A feat rivalling brushing your teeth in its complexity.

Benchmarks like that are inaccurate,

peace

Statements like that say enough, especially when I've seen not one chart of relevance that you've created yourself.

In short, if the q6600 is the best you can get right now then why would you inquire about how much gain you'd get. Your going from a 1hp go cart to a tractor, and not those cook hick ones they race. You wont notice a huge difference unless you're using multithreaded applications or even a game or two that's cpu heavy.

Statements like that say enough, especially when I've seen not one chart of relevance that you've created yourself.

In short, if the q6600 is the best you can get right now then why would you inquire about how much gain you'd get. Your going from a 1hp go cart to a tractor, and not those cook hick ones they race. You wont notice a huge difference unless you're using multithreaded applications or even a game or two that's cpu heavy.

No sassing "Tha General, you......

OK, now I have a question. Why is my use of the word, "irregardless", being "regarded" as a seminal event?

Because irregardless ain't a word......what the hell? spell check didn't red line 'ain't' or irregardless. Good god I'm old. When did this happen?

I would imagine it's because you are widely regarded as the consummate word smith. Using a word that anyone over the age of 40 has been told is not proper English, would draw some attention.:D:wave:

In My Easter Bonnet, with Fancy Words Upon It......

Because irregardless ain't a word......what the hell? spell check didn't red line 'ain't' or irregardless. Good god I'm old. When did this happen?
Dude, not recently.

In the case of "irregardless", I think it used to be a word, then it fell into "disuse" I just "resurrected" it, "albeit" to some resistance, "nonetheless". Now it's a word again, because I said so.....

Dude, not recently.

In the case of "irregardless", I think it used to be a word, then it fell into "disuse" I just "resurrected" it, "albeit" to some resistance, "nonetheless". Now it's a word again, because I said so.....

I was always told , even by English teachers, that it was not proper grammar. Oh the times they are a changin. If you look up "supposebly" , It goes back to the middle 1600's and is one of those that "fell out of use". I was not aware that irregardless had been made an official word though.
Now it's a word again, because I said so.....

Hey, I am always up for some Shakespearean inventions...

Both "ain't and "irregardless" are in the three dictionaries I just checked. Both words are listed as "non standard".

One dictionary, "Random House", goes on to say, "(in essence) ain't should be shunned, but educated speakers use it, to the end of being folksy". So artistic license prevails

As to "irregardless", the consensus is the the prefix "ir" is redundant, since the suffix "less" imparts the negation. However, it goes on to say that sometimes it is probably used for emphasis. I was briefly mulling that concept over when I typed that response. In the end, wisdom failed, and the intended audience prevailed.

Next time I'll go with, "irrespective", which doesn't red underline either.

I have noted as well that the dictionary has been littered with words that used to not be words. I ignore it unless the word "tooken" is used. It's as annoying as listening to Garrison Keilor prattle on.

I have noted as well that the dictionary has been littered with words that used to not be words. I ignore it unless the word "tooken" is used. It's as annoying as listening to Garrison Keilor prattle on.
Well, it's obvious that that should be, "tooketh".

I don't know that person, but I am familiar with Susie Ormond, Oprah Winfrey, Charlie Sheen, and Donald Trump. Then there's the Indian guy on PBS, that knows simply everything about the all. Wow, is he annoying. "LOL"....(That didn't used to be a word either. Now it is, sheesh (Oops, redline).

I wasn't asking anyone what is the best upgrade, i already know the best upgrade from Celeron e3300 which i was going to get was a I5-2400 quad core with 3.1 ghz with TB and a new MB with DDR3 memory. However , i really did not feel like shopping online to get them. So my second choice was to just make a simple upgrade and i got a good deal from a computer shop.

Custom Built Computer with 1TB Hard drive, a new Case ( Thermaltake SopranoRS VG7000BWS Black SECC ), a new MB which is from HP i think, i have to check that soon. And with a Q6600 and a new PSU. And he threw in 4gb of memory. So for all of this, only 95 bucks. It was 80, but i threw in some extra because he put in new stuff. Not bad IMO. I haven't tested anything. Installing software right now, but i plan on testing games soon, so i will report back soon.

On another note, The OS he added is called Windows 7 Extreme Edition RC1.

I am sure its just a modded version of windows 7 The game builds computer, so i guess he felt the need to add a custom version of windows 7. Works fine, even tho if i run into issues, i do have an official copy of Windows 7 ultimate 32bit which i bought a while ago.
Anyways, cheers. I will report back later on how games run.

Just an update. After playing 2 games, Hell Gate London & Crysis 2. I get about an 15% increase in performance over the e3300 at extreme settings. And with hell gate, about a 10%. Now that is good, very good, but everything moves so much smoother now and recording ha, no more problems with that. If i have it set in fraps at 50, it records at 45-50. My goodness, everything is moving so fast now. I am going to buy a 6850 very soon. That should be my final upgrade for this Q6600.

if it's a G0 you should be able to see at least 3Ghz without too much effort. when i had my Q6600 it was rock solid stable and would run pretty much anything. it was great for 3D rendering and video encoding too and would remain within spec temp. i wish this i7 ran as cool i've already had to invest in a better loop because of the heat.

Back