TechSpot

How much is my PC worth?

By Unconscious
Apr 16, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm hoping to save up to get a new PC, and some of the money to go towards that, will be by selling my old one.
    CPU:
    3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

Motherboard:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4C800 Rev 1.xx

Memory:
    2048 MB

Videocard:
    Radeon X1650 Series (512 MB)

Cooling:
    Unknown

Soundcard/Speakers:
    Creative SB Audigy, SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio, Creative Game Port.

Hard Disk(s):
    Two Maxtor 6Y120M0

Other drives:
    AOPEN DUW1608/ARR, LITE-ON LTR-48125S

any ideas?
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,059   +84 Staff Member

I'd say about $200, and before you say it, no, I'm not kidding.
  3. Unconscious

Unconscious TS Rookie Topic Starter

I was expecting a little more than that, considering my PC supports TV and Surround sound. I bought it for $600 about two years ago - it can't be a third of the price already, AND I've updated components such as the ram and graphics cards.

:/
  4. cos

cos TS Rookie Posts: 39

Sorry for your trouble.

I Know it sounds sureal but that's how fast things have progressed. In Ireland now u can get a quad core with an Nvidia 8400gs, Half a terabite of HD Space,2mb latest ram, latest everything, for, You had better sit down. 1200 Euro.
    Having said that and providing you havn't topped yourself, you computer is high spec, so should demand a good price from a gaming enthusiast. Id'e expect to pay around 200 euro, without the monitor. Thats where you'll make money, if you have a good monitor. Even so, just looking in a magazine i can get a dual core with 19" screen for 800 euro.
    Sorry to Shock u, and it must hurt even more with the exchange rate. At least with that processor and the card you should make a good few dollars back.
    All the best,
    Cos.
  5. Unconscious

Ah, well that's a shame. Ah well; just means I have to work twice as hard to earn my dream machine!

Would it be cheaper to buy a machine off Ebay, or would it be cheaper to build it? I want the latest of everything, and I found some good-looking ones on Ebay. I'm not experienced with it comes with customizing machines though - no more than updating the graphics and RAM.
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,803   +158

Unconscious,
    you could always "part out" the system. That is, sell motherboard/CPU/memory. hard drives, video card, and CD ROMs all separately on EBay
  7. cos

Depends what u want m8. If it's for gaming and money's no issue check out Alienware. Otherwise what u have would be adequate with a new motherboard, especially if u have windows xp. We have just been given a reprieve in that microsoft are extending xp another 2 years, which means they'll have to extend updates.
    Respek.
    Cos.
  8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

do not buy any electronics off of ebay without a credit card and be very cautious. I have been burned more than once by ***** computer parts sellers and buyers on ebay.

google computer value estimator. There are many sites that can give you a rough idea.
  9. Unconscious

Yeah, I'm currently turned off by Alienware, as the price is due to it's 'big brand', more than the actual price of componants. It's like buying designer jeans.

I'm looking at one at the moment, a:
    13 GHz Quad Core, overclocked to 17 GHz
    with 4 GB DDR2 OverClocked Ram @ 1066 MHZ Speed
    Watercooling
    Bluray Drive
    GeForce 9600 GT + Geforce 7150 in SLI.

Sounds like a pretty future-proof computer, and it's £1100. I'm currently 9% of the way there. Haha.
  10. cos

U mean 1.3 upto 1.7 ghz, which aint that fast. Sounds cheap for alienware though. Maybe dollars?
    What i like about alienware is it's cool, dedicated to gaming,and always offer the latest high end bit's, plus there laptops are unplug and upgrade.
  11. Unconscious

It's not Alienware, it's custom built.

The total value of all the cores added together is 13 GHz; but when overclocked, the total core value is 17 GHz.

I wouldn't pay that amount of money for a machine where each core is merely 1GHz. No way!

12. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

erm.....wtf? 13GHz??? lmao....
  13. Unconscious

I fail to see the humour in this.

2.75 Per Core * 4 Cores + 30% (for some reason) = 13.
  14. cos

I think you would find as soon as you switched it on it would spotaniously combust at that speed. more likely 2.75 total but able to multitask.
  15. Unconscious

Yes, all the cores combined are 13 GHz. It won't run at 13 GHz, obviously, but that's the total of all 4 cores added together.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.