How much wattage for AMD

By Maciuska
Dec 7, 2008
  1. Hello there are christmas ahead and Ive been planing to buy a new cpu but Im not sure if my power supply is good enough.
    So I have a MSI K9A2 CF mother board, 2x 1GB SDRAM2, ATI Radeon 4870 and AMD 64 AM2 4200 x2. Now I want to change my cpu to AMD Phenom QuadCore 9850 2.5GHz or the 2.3 GHz version and I have a Chieftec 450W power supply.
    That is too low I guess and I dont know now if my computer will be able to run this
    or maybe I will need to buy Seasonic 650W and I dont know what to buy now.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Use the old power supply first... You can always upgrade the power supply later
  3. BorisandBailey

BorisandBailey TS Enthusiast Posts: 154

450 watts is not bad, and there are other factors other than wattage that into a power supply. At my job, I have a 450 that easily supports an Intel quad-core.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

google PSU calculator, add 30% to the results.
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

That PSU is okay, but not recommended for a gaming system, especially one that will be on most of the time. I'd recommend the Corsair 550VX and the Antec Neo 550 as great choices.
  6. Maciuska

Maciuska TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hmm the calculator says that i need about 620 watts to run this crap, and the pc is on often like 4-8 hours a day. I dont know, from what youre saying I think I am going to buy that pcu and maybe some time later I will switch to a better power supply.
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

620W? Do you have a lot of fans or HDDs in your case? Your setup will not use more than 400W with your current parts.
  8. Maciuska

Maciuska TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hmm, I have 1 CD RW writer, one hard drive its 200 gb and one the fans that come with computer(processor, power and graphic card) and also I have a question.
    Is the 2X 6000+ better then the X4 2.5 for games? I heared that games dont support Quads yet and the 2X is cheaper and better?
  9. Rage_3K_Moiz

There will not be much difference gaming-wise, except on heavily CPU-dependent games like Supreme Commander. Gaming performance will depend more on your video card.

And as for a PSU, I think you can do with a good quality 450-500W PSU. Something like the Corsair 450VX or the Antec EA500 will be plenty.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.