How to change Service Tag of Dell Optiplex 745?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought DELL Optiplex 745 about 3 years ago and it died on me. So I bought a replacement used motherboard on eBay not so long ago. I noticed that the motherboard service tag is different to my current machine. So I did some research on the net and found the following files:-

SVCTAG.EXE 3.4
ASSET.COM 2.09
EE-XP.EXE 1.0
EE-CP.EXE 1.0
EE-CPA.EXE 3.1
EE-CPB.EXE 4.5
EE-LS.EXE 1.0
EE-LS2.EXE 1.30
STAG.EXE
STAG_W1.EXE A00

But my ee-cpb.exe is not working properly, it just says 'I told you what I am. But what are you?'

Also, I ran svctag and it asked me 'Do you want to erase (and/or change) this service tag (Y or N)?'. I hit yes and it returned as 'I told you what I am. But what are you? EE-CPB.exe: Error 0'

I did stag.exe and it said it completed successfully. I ran ASSET again to check to see if it had changed. But the service tag is still not erased and does not match the system type.

I would be grateful if you could show me where I can get the latest versions of the required DELL Utiltiy exe files.

Thanks.

I also have the need to install the svc. tag, but Im not sure if anybody can help on this site.
The last post on this issue I think were in 2005, Maybe svgtag.exe is no longer availble?
I found the following info online, @
http://www.hwkb.com/uwe/forum.aspx/pc-dell/82/service-tag-utility

Quote: Put the files from aftp://ftp.dell.com/utility/ on your flash drive.
These are the files:

ASSET_A209.COM
svctag.exe

Once you are at the command prompt from your boot disk, just type asset /s
xxxxxxx
End Quote
The link had Asset_209 but did not have svctag.exe
So in closing, your not alone, and if you discover whats up with svctag.exe, I would like to hear about it, Thanks

Lightray,
Been quite a few years since we had Dells but if i remeber correctly you need to enter the amintenance Mode in Bios. this is not your Dell but from Dim 4100 manual. Yours should be similar:
To configure the computer after you install a replacement board:

1.Install the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3 of configuration jumper BIOS CONF to select Maintenance mode.

1.Replace the cover and start the computer.

The computer automatically starts the system setup program, adds the Maintenance option to the menu bar, and displays the Maintenance screen.

1.Select Clear All Passwords, and press <Enter> twice.

2.Press <F10> to exit the system setup program and save any changes you made.

3.Turn off the computer, remove the computer cover, and replace the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2 of configuration jumper BIOS CONF to select Normal mode operation.

1.Replace the cover and boot the computer.

2.Reenter the system setup program, and reset the system configuration information.

You will need your Users manual to find that jumper of course.
good luck,

Looked at your manual and found that it might be different. here is the Advanced Feature page. shows where ST is displayed, but nothing on how to change:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/op745/en/UG_en/advfeat.htm#wp1101281

bummer

Hi all
I read different answers onto the forum.
I have a Dell D610 and I don't success to find svctag.exe.
I'd try the asset command (to change the service tag, but it seems too old (2004) and my laptop is 2005...
Thank you to send me the file or give me the link to download it
best regards
cheers
JT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back