How to edit HD video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

I recently purchased a small camcorder (Insignia NS-DV720P) that records HD 720p digitally to flash memory, but no editing software that I have tried can edit the files (AVI) properly. I want to do simple edits like croppng and cut/pasting certain pieces together, but nothing that I have tried does this. Most programs can't even open the file, and the two that did open did not output the file correctly, either saving to a different AVI format where the file size for a 5 minute video was 2+Gbs after saving, or saving with corruped audio and some scrambled video.

Does anyone know of any video editing software that can edit HD video properly? Thanks!

I have tried: Blaze Media, Boilsoft, ImToo, Movavi, Quicktime, Xilisoft, and probably a couple others I have forgotten.

Yup. The output is pixellated/grainy in WMV format of lower quality. :(

One possible problem - I tried to install Pinnacle Studio, which is recommended for editing HD video here:
http://www.internetvideomag.com/Articles_2008/022408_HD_Video_Editing.htm

But it will not install without updating .NET to at least 2.0 (I have old 1.1 now and have never needed to install the bloated later versions for anything before). I would rather not do it now, so I am hoping someone knows of an HD editor that does not require .NET??

The only software suite I've used to edit HD stuff is Production Premium by Adobe which includes After Effects and Premiere. You can easily import almost any video format and do your edits in a matter of minutes. It's professional grade software though so if you're not looking for something that will gouge your wallet then you might be out of luck.

What sorts of edits do you need to make, if I may ask?

Pretty basic stuff like cutting out the occasional embarassing comments by the loudmouth cameraman (yours truly), etc. Adobe Premiere is actually the next program on my list to try. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Adobe Premiere was horrible. It worked, but just like PS it does not properly clear its own cache, and with the large files it bogged down very quickly and got really slow. It did seem to be able to clip the vids, but I could not save as a shorter version of the original in the same format - when trying to save it was recompiliing into a HUGE file instead. I could burn a DVD of my movie 'project' with the edited vids, but I could not make permanent edits and get modified output files of the same format as the input. :(

Vegas is up next...

http://www.alloksoft.com/splitter.htm

"Hallelujah! Holy poo poo! Where’s the Tylenol?" - Clark Griswold

After almost 2 months of searching, I have learned that Insignia video is notorious for sucking apples and being very hard to open in common video processing software.

I have always used Boilsoft's Video Splitter for simple extraction of clips, etc. from video files, but this program does not recognize the HD format of the newer camcorders, and Insignia is even less recognizable than most. :(

I found a pretty decent workaround using SUPER: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

SUPER re-encodes video into just about anything else and lets the user choose almost any settings they want. The main drawbacks are that it is slow for big files, and that it outputs very large files for large HD input files with no option to save large output into multiple smaller files.

Xilisoft's Video Converter also was able to read the input files and DID have output splitting options, but the encoding was not nearly as good as SUPER. So neither was a good solution across the board.

So I really was pining for good old Boilsoft, which simply splits files without re-encoding. You get the parts of the file you want at the proportional file size without the problems of re-encoding and losing quality.

And finally after 2 months I found Allok Video Splitter, which does the same thing as Boilsoft but can also read original HD camcorder files, even the biggest one I have from Christmas that was over an hour long (2.4Gb).

A bit of rambling, but in case someone searches for Insignia, I hope this will help save them the 2-month headache that I had getting to this point.

Nice to see the thread finish with workable solution.
Awesome sense of community spirit in posting back billyellis.
The thread will hopefully prove useful for anyone following who is searching for an answer to a similar problem.

I hope it will be helpful to someone. :)

And one point that was implied but not stated in my previous post - if the smaller split clips out of Allok still will not function in your default video programs, you can at least then use SUPER on the smaller files to convert them into other formats with output files that are manageable in size..

hey instead of getting a new software just get a video converter and convert to avi or flv or something instead of wmv. wmv is good but not best quality.

In this case I was talking about HD video of important family occasions, etc., so downconverting to lower quality was not really what I was looking for. Thanks for posting, though.

billyellis I thank you

Dude, I had bought the insignia a while ago. It was cheap and I needed a video camera.

I just filmed some footage for my wife to put on youtube and I wanted to add some stuff in AE. Well AE was giving me headaches and I was cursing and swearing.

After searching and trying a bunch of software to edit/convert so I can a) use in AE or b) edit it and skip AE

I finally found this post and I have to tell you Allok works perfectly!!!

Thanks so much for all your hard work in finding this!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back