How to increase FPS

CaSaNoVa

This is my configuration:

Windows 7
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512 mb
3 GB DDR2 Ram
DirectX 9 (if u know higher give link to download)

I play games like GTA San andreas , fifa 10 11 . They work smooth
But when i play POP Forgotten Sands , Just Cause 2 , Mafia 2 etc...
it doesnt runs smoothly.
I only get FPS like 6-8 which is hell kinda slow i think
I think my configuration meets minimum requirements
Still i cant play smoothly

So any suggestions
Plz help guys

The NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS isnt really good for games at all. If you want to spend some money you can buy a new video card, you might have to buy a new power supply too if you have to upgrade to a mid to high end video card. Unless you have a good power supply.

First we need to know how much you want to spend and what make and model is your power supply. To find that info just open the computer and look.

You need the wattages of it.

It will have on the label, total wattage: xxx Watts.

For example:

psu2.jpg

This PSU's total wattage is 450w MAX.

We need yours. If you don't know what it is, take a photo of it and link it here for us to view.

Watt is not written

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 3 posts.

You now have 4. ;)

The total wattage will be on the PSU label, it has to be in order to know its power output to match it to components inside the computer its powering.

Looking at that (and you are correct, it doesn't have it - Sorry), I calculated the maximum as 447.25w, BUT I would assume 400w (the end of the model code seems to go with that).

I calculated it as the wattage x amperage of each rail.

So
3.33v x 25A = 83.25 W
5v x 32A = 160 W
12v x 17A = 204 W

Total of them all combined is 447.25 W.

[Is this correct guys?]

They degrade over time though, so don't expect it to be happy at that wattage, and remember also that a PSU can only run very briefly at its maximum wattage output.

Personally, if it was me I'd be replacing that PSU either before getting a new GPU, or at the same time. You might be presented with little choice if you choose a GPU that needs PCI-express power connectors anyway - Unless your current PSU has them?

P.S. Please stop double posting, edit your original post. I let the one post slide so you had enough posts to provide the link, but you should edit your original posts if you wish to add more information.

I dont want to but a new power supply
tell me the best gpu (1gb) in range of 70$-80$ or 3k-4k RS mostly

You could use a HD4670 with that PSU, and don't have to worry about power connectors, as long as you have a PCI express socket spare.

I dunno the price, but I doubt you'd be able to handle much more with that PSU.

With all of the holiday deals, spend $100 and get a 1GB ATI 4870, and a PSU on sale. Anything lower and it will become outdated too quickly IMHO.

If you are unfamilar with graphics cards, a good place to start is

upgradevideocards.com

which provides a lot of helpful guidance about the entire process, include power supplies and connectors.

Leahy, you cannot use the label to calculate total wattage off the amps for each leg. Those list the mazximum amps possible for the leg, but it does not mean the PSU can provide maximum power to all three at the same time. For instance, if you do the same for your 450w PSU - for the label linked above - you will calculate 530 watts. The gap between the calculated amount and actual amount can be even greater for some PSUs.

The post I found by Googling the product number says it is a 250w PSU. Sorry but it would not let me post the URL - but you can get it. It was at the top of the google list at computing.net.

You might find the other posts informative too. And maybe Google yourself to see if there is a more definitive link.

You also need to consider all the components in your system. Do you have any other add-ins, cards, drives, etc?

Other suggestions:
Windows XP gives much much better FPS than Windows 7.
You can disable visual effects.
Download freeware program GameBooster to turn off unneeded services
Uninstall unneeded programs
Clean your system with CCleaner, TuneUp Utilities etc
Disable System restore(only if don't need it),
Get the latest drivers,
Clean up your RAM memory,
Defregment HDD,
Configure paging file,
Wipe the dust out of the case,
Clean up viruses and malware,
Lower details in game
Buy a new graphic card
Buying a new GPU/CPU is the best possible way to increase FPS in games, but only if you want to spend money. Also there is a lot more stuff to do but i can't remember them right now.
Sorry for English! xD

So
3.33v x 25A = 83.25 W
5v x 32A = 160 W
12v x 17A = 204 W

[Is this correct guys?]
That's how it's done :wavve:

Leeky said:

So
3.33v x 25A = 83.25 W
5v x 32A = 160 W
12v x 17A = 204 W

[Is this correct guys?]
Not entirely, since the +3.3V and +5V rails are usually fed from the same source, so the current rating is the maximum per-rail; thus, there's usually a combined maximum power rating for both rails, which would probably not be more than around 100-150W or so for this old a PSU.

Also, according to this link, that's a 250W PSU! :p

Thats cool Rage, I wasn't 100% which is why I asked for confirmation. :)

So what did I calculate incorrectly? From your post it appears to be the assumption that the 3.33v and 5v rails are separate.

Is the maximum wattage calculated using the 12v rail only?

Nope. There's a separate maximum power figure given for the +5V and +3.3V rails combined. You can see it on the Silverstone PSU sticker below.

2404645bee31e6ad.jpg

Image courtesy of HardwareCanucks

Back