How to lower page file usage easily and quickly please anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

The Title says it all really, id loveit it someone could help me fuigre out how to lower the page file usage without having to buy extra memory....

also, is it possible to buy decent extra memory for laptops and is it easy to install?

Thank you, im pretty technically challenged it a great help,

Charlie

Use less programs simultaneously. Turn off everything loading at startup that isn't critical, disable unneeded system services, look over the programs you use and consider less bloated alternatives, turn off all eye candy - your 1024x768 wallpaper means 2MB of RAM lost.

u79979 said:
Is there any software can solve that efficiently??

To start up less programs;

Go to run
Type in "msconfig"
Go to "startup programs" and select "disable all"
Go to services and select "hide microsoft services" and then select "disable all"
Restart your computer

To turn off "eyecandy";

Go to start
Click on control panel
(If control manual is in category view, swith to classic)
Select "System"
Click "Advanced"
Click "Performance Settings"
Click out everything but "use visual styles on windows"
Click apply

particularly with LAPTOPS, adding RAM gives you tremendous bang for the buck. Not only does it reduce page-file swapping, but in addition, it significantly increases speed as most hard drives in laptops as well as the CPUs are slow. Furthermore, everytime the hard drive is accessed, it drains even more battery life if you're running on batteries. Laptops also tend to use integrated video which "steals" regular RAM for video use. So the user is already shortened some basic memory for programs and the operating system. I have 1 GB of ram in my laptop. It was simple to install. My battery life isn't great as it is. So it really helped out a lot. Recently I installed a very fast hard drive also.

I would not run a laptop with anything less than 512mb of ram, even then it will be hindered. 1GB should be the norm. This is because XP is a memory hog - using over 100mb of ram for itself. Factor in at least 64mb for video if you have integrated video, and that doesn't leave much for programs.

With 1GB of ram, your computer will run a lot faster, have longer battery life, and everybody's happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back