How to OC a AMD Duron 1600 on GA-7DXE

DjKraid

Hi!

So I have this old computer and I would be nice if it would be a bit faster.

How and how much can this rig be OC:d?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7DXE
CPU: AMD Duron 1600 (DHD1600DLV1C)
cooling: Nexus AXP-3200 with Everflow (R127025DL) fan
PSU: Seventeam ST-300BLP
VGA: Matrox G55+MDHA32DB (AGP)
RAM: 3x256Mb DDR (2x266MHz & 1x333MHz)
ATX case with really good air flow

P.S. A new computer is NOT an option(!), this one goes to Emmaus Staff

If there are no user adjustable CPU clock and memory voltage/timings in the bios, the board can't be over clocked

I don't know anything about the board, but I would have guessed that that board has the ability to overclock. I remember some Durons overclocked really well. So I wouldn't give up on it after the first 2 replies. Even if the board itself doesn't support overclocking on some of those (the T-Birds at least and I'm pretty sure the Durons) could be done by penciling together a couple bridges on the chip.

I remember the shorting certain pins by penciling some shorting tracks between the CPU pins. By doing this you could trash the CPU though. Any over-clocking of this "old" computer won't do anything to improve its present performance. A fresh install of Windows or adding more memory would do more for the computer

Well I got it up to 1920MHz but at that speed it's unstable and it gets loads of "memory errors" with ubuntu (9.04) memory test. So I'm now running it at 1800MHz and it seems to be working fine...but after this test I'll try to get some more speed out of it...

...to be continued...

The Limit seems to be 1860MHz...

---BIOS---
Top Performance [Enabled]
---
Frequence/Voltage Control
CPU Frequency Control [Enabled]
CPU Clock [155]
---

With those setting I'm trollin' now and #Tmagic650, I'm going to get more ram (1.5Gb) and do a complete re-installation of Windows XP :)

If someone has any more advice please post :)

thx dudes :)

[|EDIT|]

at 1860MHz (CPU Clock at 155) the Windwos XP setup can't start the hdd partitioner (or how ever it spelled) so I tested and the CPU Clocks
"maximum" is 150 and that means that the CPU speed is 1800MHz

How did you do it? If you did it without an increase in voltage, then you may still have more headroom.

Decent overclock for an old system, what's the performance difference as per a cpu benchmark?

#SNGX1275 - As I said in my previous post, there are the only settings that I could find that had anything with OC:ing to do. The "Top Performance" setting doesn't do anything that I can see but when it is [Enabled] the system is more stable. Under "Frequence/Voltage Control" (why that name?) there was only 2 things that could be changed, "CPU Frequency Control" that is as default [Disabled] and when it's [Enabled] you get to change "CPU Clock" setting and that's pretty much it...no voltage tweaks and nor ram voltage/speed tweaks. Could it be possible that the BIOS needs to be flashed to get new features or what could help?

#redk - what to benchmark this cpu with?

I just ran a benchmark with the CPU @ 1.8GHz:
CPU Mark - 418.3 - Composite average
Integer Math - 56.6 - MOps./Sec.
Floating Point Math - 323.9 - MOps./Sec.
Find Prime Numbers - 94.0 - Thousand Primes/Sec.
Multimedia Instructions - 1.49 - Million Matrices per second
Compression - 631.0 - KBytes processed per second
Encryption - 2.93 - MBytes processed per second
Physics - 17.1 - Frames per second
String Sorting - 319.9 - Thousand Strings per second

Overall results (253.6 pts):
the computer s**ks...
- 3D test <- Failed (not supported by the GPU)
- CD drive test <- skipped (lagging like sh*t)

EDIT

CPU @ 1.6GHz (original speed):
BIOS settings:
Top Performance [Disabled]
CPU Frequency Control [Disabled]

First impression, slower boot...

CPU Mark - 367.0 - Composite average
Integer Math - 49.8 - MOps./Sec.
Floating Point Math - 289.3 - MOps./Sec.
Find Prime Numbers - 83.7 - Thousand Primes/Sec.
Multimedia Instructions - 1.33 - Million Matrices per second
Compression - 564.6 - KBytes processed per second
Encryption - 2.32 - MBytes processed per second
Physics - 14.9 - Frames per second
String Sorting - 285.2 - Thousand Strings per second

Overall results (229.1 pts)

Now is that a big difference or small, what do you think about it..?

EDIT

Now when I try to OC it again with the same settings as before it can't boot and sometimes
it just freezes at the screen where it tries to boot from CD but it doesn't get that long, it freezes
"in the box above" at the L2 cache memory. Sometimes it gets to the Windows loading screen
and then freezes.
Safe Mode (any) = reboot
Last known good configuration = freeze
Start Normally = freeze
...why...?

Now suddenly it works...with no changes done (still OCed)...what could have caused the crashes..?

UPDATE

With the corespeed @ 1.8GHz the system runs fine but some setups can't be completed like (ex.) "TerraTec Magicx Movies" (for Grabby)

Back