How to Open .HEIC iPhone Photos in Windows

Kind of a slap in the face that Windows doesn't natively support them... why not MS?
A good question. Why can’t windows read Mac formatted disks, why no windows on ARM licensing? Seeing a pattern?

Hey some people complain that you can’t (anyone who says can’t is either lying or wrong) write to some windows formats from a Mac even if you can read them, but you can install file systems on the Mac to accomplish this. Windows won’t even read Mac formats, @&$$&@&$

We've been using the $1 HEVC Video Extensions codec since it's actually good for 20 concurrent licenses/installs., Actually getting it to download properly from the app store is sometimes problematic (it'll stall out with a generic "problem on our end" error message) but usually installs eventually. It works perfectly fine once it's there and integrates properly with no issues.

I will give CopyTrans HEIC a try though.

A good question. Why can’t windows read Mac formatted disks, why no windows on ARM licensing? Seeing a pattern?

Hey some people complain that you can’t (anyone who says can’t is either lying or wrong) write to some windows formats from a Mac even if you can read them, but you can install file systems on the Mac to accomplish this. Windows won’t even read Mac formats, @&$$&@&$

HEVC/HEIC isn't a Mac format. Samsung Galaxy Android phones use this codec as well for photos. Nearly all modern Android phone use HEVC for video.

Microsoft would have to pay a licensing fee to include a decoder so instead they opted to push the licensing cost on to the user. Blame the organization who owns the codec for being so greedy.

Hopefully AV1 will be rapidly adopted for video, not sure if it also can be used for images.

I generally convert these files. Where was the article a month ago?! I was working with a bunch of these files in my office and had to do some research on conversion applications.

Because HEIC format is owned by MPEG and they have nearly 4,000 patents on it and you have to pay to use it. Microsoft do not want to spend the billions it would cost to add it to windows.
It would simply mean paying about a dollar a user... you don’t think MS could afford to do that? And I’m pretty sure they’d simply raise the price of Windows to compensate...

Hence the raising the price of Windows... reading comprehension is your friend...
Why would they raise the price for everyone if YOU can just buy it IF you need it? It's a random cherry picked paid feature, no one cares if you buy it or not. It's up to you, just like with the 9 million other paid features and apps you can buy for Windows. Especially when free alternatives are available.

Why would they raise the price for everyone if YOU can just buy it IF you need it? It's a random cherry picked paid feature, no one cares if you buy it or not. It's up to you, just like with the 9 million other paid features and apps you can buy for Windows.
Alas, you missed the point... all major file formats should be supported by MS - and HEIC has become one of these. It’s not just “me” - but millions of others who would like it. Very few would bat an eye if MS raised the price by $1(monopolies are nice) - but already many are disgruntled that they can’t edit their photos without hassle...

Also, I’m sure MS could make an agreement with the owners of the HEIC patent that would cost far less than $1 per user - again, monopolies are nice - they just can’t be bothered. BUT, if enough people like me complain, perhaps they will do this in a future service pack...

Alas, you missed the point... all major file formats should be supported by MS
Why? And why is HEIC a "major" file format? Because you said so? There are millions of file formats not supported by Windows. That's why you have 3rd party apps that support them.

Do you even know what the term "OS" means? Windows is not opening HEIC files, photo viewer apps do. I happen to use IrfanView, which happens to support HEIC files too. For free. I don't need that $1 garbage.

You insist on using the "Photos" app, which doesn't support HEIC without purchasing a license. What are you even complaining about? It's your choice, no one forces you to use that app. All MS does is comply with MPEG LA's licensing.

Some other 3rd party apps just don't care and knowingly infringe those licenses. The minor ones are just too small to be sued by MPEG LA, so they can get away with it. Simple as that. Others like Adobe most certainly also add that price to their own products.

For the record, certain hardware vendors sometimes pay for these licenses too, so on certain laptops you may get this paid extension "for free" (I.e. it's factored in the laptop's price).

Last edited:
Why? And why is HEIC a "major" file format? Because you said so? There are millions of file formats not supported by Windows. That's why you have 3rd party apps that support them.
it’s the default for iPhones and a Samsung phones... you understand that MILLIONS of people use those, right?
Do you even know what the term "OS" means? Windows is not opening HEIC files, photo viewer apps do. I happen to use IrfanView, which happens to support HEIC files too. For free. I don't need that $1 garbage.
operating system... and they give me MS Paint - it opens tons of picture files... why not HEIC?
You insist on using the "Photos" app, which doesn't support HEIC without purchasing a license. What are you even complaining about? It's your choice, no one forces you to use that app. All MS does is comply with MPEG LA's licensing.
if MS Edge didn’t support HTML, would you tell me to just use Chrome or Firefox?
Some other 3rd party apps just don't care and knowingly infringe those licenses. The minor ones are just too small to be sued by MPEG LA, so they can get away with it. Simple as that. Others like Adobe most certainly also add that price to their own products.

For the record, certain hardware vendors sometimes pay for these licenses too, so on certain laptops you may get this paid extension "for free" (I.e. it's factored in the laptop's price).
MS has tons of bargaining power - almost everyone has at least one device with Windows on it...

It would simply mean paying about a dollar a user... you don’t think MS could afford to do that? And I’m pretty sure they’d simply raise the price of Windows to compensate...
They could, but they don’t need to. Heic is not a windows image format, and hopefully the world is moving to more open, free format.

They could, but they don’t need to. Heic is not a windows image format, and hopefully the world is moving to more open, free format.
They don't NEED to do anything... they have a monopoly... but Windows can open plenty of image formats that aren't "Windows Image Formats"... why not HEIC?

lol... no... I suspect they'd be able to negotiate a far cheaper rate considering the monopoly they hold over desktop/laptop devices...

And again, simply adding a few cents to the cost of Windows would cover it...
Apple Pay over a $1 per device as they use extra bits of the standard. However, in general, it’s used mostly by Apple, not windows. I just use “HEIC to JPEG” in the App Store and convert the ones I get sent, works for me.

What I would like to see is an article of how to put my personal mp3 files onto iphones and be able to play songs that I enjoy.

Back