TechSpot

How to reinstall vista without CD - recovery manager won't work

By nadmaj
Sep 17, 2009
  1. Hi ya

I want to re install vista on my laptop as i've got rootkit and cannot get rid of the google redirection virus - but i don't have a re-instillation cd. Tried making one through recovery manager but it fails to recognise my cd/dvd rom.

so please could you assist on obtaining a vista cd or suggesting how to get recovery manager to recognise and make a cd instead.

(i googled the recovery manager problem and someone had the same problem and suggested that it will only recognise the burning software that was originally included with the laptop - this being cyberlink dvd suite) which i got rid of and have nero - could this be the solution - so now where to get cyberlink from.

thanks in advance.

2. centurymeltdown

centurymeltdown TS Rookie

I once had a virus like the one you described, the one where you do a google search and it redirects it to some cheap advertisements for a bad software?

Before reinstalling Vista have you tried EVERYTHING?

Check out these softwares (i wont say Google for them, but try something like DogPile.Com, Yahoo, or Bling in the meantime..) -

Free Software
    Ad-Aware
    Search and Destroy
    Sophos Anti-Rootkit

Free TRIALs of Software (e.g, use them to remove rootkit and them remove software or buy it, your choice).

ESET Smart Security - Use it myself, very good, keeps your system quick as before, but not as good as Kaspersky - But close.

Kaspersky - The top-level security app for home users in my opinion. Scans all new softwares, detects quite alot, try it :D

BitDefender - Used it for a few months 2 years back, seemed good enough.

3. jabberwocky

jabberwocky TS Rookie

Hi there, I had the same problem and deleted cyberlink. In order to be able to make the recovery disk you need to get cyberlink back. This is what you need to do:
    - Go into the recovery centre, click on advanced options
    - Click on software program re-installation, click on next
    -Click next again
    -Click on cybernet dvd suite, click next
    -Click next

Program should reinstall, & you should be able to burn now.

4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky TS Rookie

Make sure when you are about to burn, that all your discs are exactly the same!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.