How to reinstall vista without CD - recovery manager won't work

By nadmaj
Sep 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi ya

I want to re install vista on my laptop as i've got rootkit and cannot get rid of the google redirection virus - but i don't have a re-instillation cd. Tried making one through recovery manager but it fails to recognise my cd/dvd rom.

so please could you assist on obtaining a vista cd or suggesting how to get recovery manager to recognise and make a cd instead.

(i googled the recovery manager problem and someone had the same problem and suggested that it will only recognise the burning software that was originally included with the laptop - this being cyberlink dvd suite) which i got rid of and have nero - could this be the solution - so now where to get cyberlink from.

thanks in advance.
  2. centurymeltdown

centurymeltdown Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

I once had a virus like the one you described, the one where you do a google search and it redirects it to some cheap advertisements for a bad software?

Before reinstalling Vista have you tried EVERYTHING?

Check out these softwares (i wont say Google for them, but try something like DogPile.Com, Yahoo, or Bling in the meantime..) -

Free Software
    Ad-Aware
    Search and Destroy
    Sophos Anti-Rootkit

Free TRIALs of Software (e.g, use them to remove rootkit and them remove software or buy it, your choice).

ESET Smart Security - Use it myself, very good, keeps your system quick as before, but not as good as Kaspersky - But close.

Kaspersky - The top-level security app for home users in my opinion. Scans all new softwares, detects quite alot, try it :D

BitDefender - Used it for a few months 2 years back, seemed good enough.
  3. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Newcomer, in training

Hi there, I had the same problem and deleted cyberlink. In order to be able to make the recovery disk you need to get cyberlink back. This is what you need to do:
    - Go into the recovery centre, click on advanced options
    - Click on software program re-installation, click on next
    -Click next again
    -Click on cybernet dvd suite, click next
    -Click next

Program should reinstall, & you should be able to burn now.
  4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky Newcomer, in training

Make sure when you are about to burn, that all your discs are exactly the same!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.