How to use Memtest?

anttg408

Okay so i looked at the guide and i follow it and i get what to do to a certain point. I dont know if i burned it to the cd right? I burned it to a cs using windows and it burned the files from my desktop and it said from your images but how would do that and does it matter? Next it said you restart the comp and press a key? but i do no know what my key is. HELP!

OK, I have no idea where you're coming from- the last bit sounds like something from The Simpsons, so I'll just go ahead and give the steps:
Download Memtest86+ from >>here <<
Click on the "Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)" and save it to a convenient location
Unzip the file
Use a program such as ImgBurn to make a bootable CD disc (you can also use a USB drive). The disc needs to be bootable. Burn the .iso to the disc . The .iso should be the only thing on the disc.
Once you have burned your bootable CD, leave disc into the drive, and restart your computer- Reboot and select CD as your first bootable drive.
Hit F10 to save and exit.
Reboot the computer will cause the CD drive to run as first boot device and the Memtest program will run automatically.
After the program has run (you can stop it at any time. I recommend 7-12 passes for a RAM diagnostic) remember to return to your BIOS, change the boot order back to Harddrive (I assume) and F10 (save) and exit.

Use a program such as ImgBurn to make a bootable CD disc (you can also use a USB drive). The disc needs to be bootable. Burn the .iso to the disc . The .iso should be the only thing on the disc.

That part might be a little misleading. Since most people that do it wrong are burning the actual iso file to the disk I thought I'd comment to clarify.

You need to burn the image to the disk, the iso file is the image, but you need to tell your burning program that is what you are doing. Burning an image. If you burn your disk, then open it up and see a .iso file you have done it wrong. There should be several files on the disk after its burned.

True enough. Thanks for the clarification.

I should have just said use a new disc, since quite a few people tend to try to use a partially filled disc that may contain any number of backups, apps, files etc.

Back