HP 640C Cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP DeskJet 640C printer, and usually run WH Smith catridges. Recently at a fair I purchased a pack of 3 Ryman cartidges, the packaging clearly labelled 'suitable for HP 640C'. You've guessed -- they won't work. Physically identical to HP & WH Smith cartridges, the computer ignores them, and states that the cartridges are not compatible with the printer. Ryman are ignoring any communication. [Take note]

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Is it possible to make them work?
--

Welcome to TechSpot

AFAIK the HP49 (colour) = Ryman 4009
and the HP29 (black) = Ryman 2009
the same as for a HPdeskjet 690C which I have.

Did you take off the insulating tape over the copper nozzle?

The black cartridges bought for HP 640C are marked 'Ryman R1005, equivalent to HP15'. I expected a protective strip (simiar to HP15 and the WH Smith equivalent) but coult not see one. To ensure that my eyes are not playing me up I've picked at the copper surface corner and lifted it -- no protective cover. If the cartridge had not been heat sealed in a plastic bag I would have wondered whether I was the 'first' owner.

I'm not sure what to say now. The box side clearly states 'For use in Hewlett Packard FDeskJet 810C 812C 840C 842C 920C 940C OfficeJet V Series psc500 750 950' Isn't this an offence against the Trades Description Act (in the UK)?

The cartridges are physically the exact copy of the HP cartidge. Even if I could find and recognise the sellar at the PC Fair, he is probably justified to sell it to me as being suitable for the DeskJet 840C.

If you are correct then Ryman must respond-- surely I can't be the only buyer of such cartridges?

Doh! My printer is HP 840C. I don't know why earlier submissions were labelled 640C.

I'll start again. .. <Deep sigh>

The printer is 840C. The cartidges are marked 840C. They are not accepted as compatible with HP 15 cartridges.

Not having the sealing strip, and being in a sealed plastic bag (which I can do at home in my kitchen), you may have been 'suckered' into buying some empty cartridges. Empties don't work and I don't think that HP already had electronic sensors for date or filling-grade back when they made the 640C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back