HP developing at least four more webOS 2.0 devices

Emil

Staff

HP is planning on delivering at least four more webOS 2.0 devices. Last week, the homebrew group WebOS Internals dug through the webOS Doctor (the ROM image for restoring a webOS device) and found five codenames: Broadway, Windsor, Mantaray, Stingray, and Roadrunner, according to (via PreCentral). The last one is none other than the Palm Pre 2 but the other four could be anything: smartphones, tablets, or something else entirely (but don't count on it).

Moreover, the five codenames are mentioned so as to display the message "temporarily not restoring logs for newer devices," meaning these are all quite new devices. Here is the code in question:

quote:
if ((machineType.contentEquals("broadway")) || (machineType.contentEquals("windsor")) || (machineType.contentEquals("mantaray")) || (machineType.contentEquals("stingray")) || (machineType.contentEquals("roadrunner"))) { this.flasherLogger.logPrintln("temporarily not restoring logs for newer devices");

HP officially introduced webOS 2.0, the most significant update to the platform since its launch in 2009, last month. Version 2.0 of the mobile OS features Stacks, JustType, as well as Skype and Facebook support. HP also touts "true multitasking," which means you never have to close an app to do something else, and Flash 10.1 beta support in the browser. HP acquired Palm for $1.2 billion three months ago and promised new phones would arrive in early 2011.

Permalink to story.

I believe it was a good move on HP's part to acquire Palm. I am sure they will be able to put WebOS to creative uses. I don't know much about cell phones but I am wondering what else they can do with that OS. I thought it was pretty impressive to get a Printer running off the WebOS at the time.

I like HP. They make excellent business line computers. Both the Notebook and Desktop lines are great. Although I believe they have stopped the Business notebook line for the probook series.

Also, is that C++? I am not good with programming but it looks like C++. Could be C#

Im a fan of HP my laptop is HP by desktop is also but their tablet didnt impres me, but the new OS might get me to think about it, anyways, i just hope they lower the price on there laptops (the ones for gaming) cuz im looking for one and i havent gotten under 1500 ....so that sucks

This looks like potential good news but here's hoping these bad boys come out sooner rather then later. Can HP really afford to lose anymore time bleeding fans to the competition? I mean I would love to be rocking a better built WebOS device but waited as long as possible as my Pre fell apart and looked like it was 5 years old after a couple short months.

It might be a good news. Right now I am not sure which mobile operating system shall I choose. There is Android, Windows7 Phone, Symbian, etc.

sounds good, I´m a fan of HP...but this comes a bit late in opinion, especially when you consider what the competition has been doing in last few months, or even years

I'll be waiting to see what devices HP comes up with. How they turn out will certainly affect the success of WebOS.

dlen said:
It might be a good news. Right now I am not sure which mobile operating system shall I choose. There is Android, Windows7 Phone, Symbian, etc.
It probably is good news. Going forward always is.

webOS, according to the majority of the tech population is a FANTASTIC OS and I don't think it deserved to abruptly die just because of mistakes made by PALM. I'm actually glad that HP picked it up. I figure, if anyone could bring it back to life, it would be them. Go figure that 4 Mobile OS's would be too much in this industry but competiton is never a bad thing (And NO I'm not counting Maemo or MeeGo or whatever the hell Nokias new OS is). If I could get webOS on a preferred carrier here in Chicago, I think I'd try it. It seems to have a great Developer Community as well.

Now there are so many OS in mobile also. In one way people has few option to go for any OS but in another way it might make ppl confuse..

@jaz

Do people get confused whey buying a car? I mean there far more brands and models out there.

So, more choices do give consumers the chance to make a more 'informed choice' provided they do bother to study what options are available, which is the best fit for their price range.

Back