TechSpot

HP exec derides Microsoft Surface as "slow" and "kludgey"

By Rick
Nov 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In an interview with IDG, HP PC Business chief Todd Bradley dismissed Microsoft's first foray into the tablet market. Surface, he said, is "slow" and "kludgey". Bradley added that he hardly considers Surface competition for HP, although it's worth pointing...

Read more

2. HP should know "Slow & Kludgey." Wasn't that the tag line for the ill-fated HP TouchPad?

3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

Idk what Kludgey even means. Sure the surface isn't the best tablet out there but I think it's a pretty good start given that the tablet market is already heavily saturated with companies that have a good head start. Looking forward to what Microsoft can do in a few years.

4. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 605   +89

Lol agreed guest and I own a touchpad its great once you tweak it.

Slow and kludgey describes their horrible retail computers.

Only their business systems are worth anything.

HP is the last company that should be talking they couldn't even hire a proper ceo!

Worry about your own house before talking about others.

5. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

Great interface and blazing fast with a couple easy tweaks. They had a good thing and blew it.

6. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 415   +42

Haha love the picture

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,834   +925

The word and concept of "kluge", got quite a workout on the TV series "Andromeda" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213327/
    There, a genetically enhanced race of humans,
    OK, here I'd argue that a translation from the Latin with a better ring would be, "invincible wise man ".
    The Nieztscheans" looked down on normal, non enhanced humans as "kluges". Since of course, they were the "uberman".

In any event, the series ran from 2000 to 2005. So, I have no idea if the computer adapted terminology came first, or the sci-fi TV series.

In either case, both Nietzsche, and the German etymology of the word "kluge", predates both.

Too much information?

Ranger12 likes this.
  8. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

In the UK there is a word "cludgey", referring to a primitive lavatory, recently popularised by James May of "Top Gear" fame - perhaps the implication is that MS Surface is full of (expletive withheld)? ;)

9. captaincranky

So you're saying this is a Zen thing? As in, "the toilet, the Surface tablet, and the turd are all one"!;)

Zoltan Head likes this.
  10. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

Perhaps, but I found it interesting. Therefore I bestow a "like" upon your response.

11. Why does this CEO have an opinion...? Specially when He doesn't have a product... his opinion only matters on his products. Sine he doesn't have a competing product, sounds like he is just complaining.

Poor kid...

12. captaincranky

Because most CEOs only have two moving parts, their mouth, and their a*****e. These two moving parts are interchangeable. How else could you justify or explain Steve Ballmer? Their "software" is their opinion. It is usually an accepted redundancy, that they can access their "opinion", from either end....:eek:

13. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

Why does this Guest have an opinion? Specially when etc. etc. you get my drift....;)

14. captaincranky

This should serve as fair warning to under performing executives with big mouths and bad ideas:
    HP CEO Apotheker fired, replaced by Meg Whitman
    Mr. Apotheker's loose lips almost sank the "SS Hewlett Packard"...

And the full story link: http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/22/technology/hp_ceo_fired/index.htm

But you know what, this mutt still got 25 million in severance pay!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.