TechSpot

HP to embed Leap Motion's gesture control tech in select products

By Jos
Apr 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Leap Motion has announced a partnership with HP to embed their motion-control technology into select devices. The deal has reportedly been in the works for over a year and represents a major milestone for the San Francisco-based startup that will...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

I really want one of these. It just needs to be embedded and then we are talking "future". If only it wasnt that creepy lol.

3. John_McCarthy_3

John_McCarthy_3 TS Rookie

These people are probably dangerously close to violating Kinect's patents. Microsoft Kinect has been out since 2010 and was equipped with many of the same sensors. 3 years late, guys. But of course you probably still think you're the smartest guys in the room. HA!

4. PrimeSense made the sensor for Kinect. Microsoft provided the integration with camera and the signal processing algorithms. LeapMotion is touting their NEW algorithm, presumably different from Microsoft's algorithm for Kinect.

5. The guy who wrote this article doesn't even know what hes talking about. The leap is not like the Kinect. The leap has only 2 feet up cubic accurate depth perception.

6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

A.) Leap has better and faster gesture recognition
    B.) Leap has better depth perception
    C.) Leap was created with the intention of being built into other devices (phones and computers)

So I'd say that even though they are 3 years late to the game, they have an edge over connect. The only thing Kinect has over leap is the distance it can register gestures, and that it can read the whole body (which is really only good for gaming...Leap is trying to aim more towards business).

So laugh all you want, there is NOTHING wrong with Leap coming in 3 years late. They were simply developers who wanted something more than what Kinect could offer. Just remember that it's still a very young product, so unless Microsoft gets off their butts, Leap will surpass the Kinect. I can't wait to see what the competition between these two companies will bring about. Or would you rather Leap just go away causing no competition which would equal no enthusiasm for making the current product better? Competition is good my friend. Even if it is late. better late than never.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.