HP's 9.7" Topaz tablet fully detailed, has 1.2GHz Snapdragon

By Matthew
Jan 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. HP's recently unearthed Topaz tablet has been fully detailed courtesy of leaked documents published by Pre Central. The webOS-based iPad competitor sports a familiar black color scheme with both HP and Palm branding, and it has an identically sized 9.7-inch 1024x768 multitouch display protected by oleophobic Gorilla Glass. Initial reports of a 1.2GHz processor were accurate as the device is powered by Qualcomm's dual-core MSM8660.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

I'd prefer tegra 2. Snapdragon is the vomit bag of smartphone/tablet cpus.
  3. RaiDeR55

RaiDeR55 TS Rookie Posts: 45

Tegra 2 is the way to go..real soon Tegra 3 oh ya!! Quad core baby on a smartphone. with 1920x1200 on the screen..Better than retina screen display that apples iphone have..
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Tegra 3 is not an LCD display.
  5. @Rick
    Rai didn't say it was, if you had read the article about the Tegra 3, you'd see that they tout support for up to 1920x1200 with the greatly increased graphical peformance the chip brings.
  6. this should have tegra 2. if this is just snapdragon, then this like ordinary ipad clones with more features. but this is a beauty. the upcoming ipad 2 i believe has a revamped graphics.
  7. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Booster Posts: 248   +12

Tablets are starting to look all the same for me... in fact, if I were going to get one, I'll choose those with Tegra 2 and Android (because of the app market)... nothing else to care about...
  8. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Just because this device is using a less powerful CPU than what is currently available does not mean they did not optimize the OS (we hope).

It is always a balancing act so they can bring the product to market at a reasonable price, power, and battery life. I would not mind to pay more for Pixel Qi screens so that battery life can get better. I wish all venders would offer these screens in a higher end version of the devices.

Remember WebOS is not windows or even Andriod, so you might still be surprised with the performance. These devices need to be as responsive as the iPad. I hope that is at least one area they do not drop the ball. We know multitasking is in there, and the OS was considered very nice. Thus I have high hopes.

If the platform does reach the targeted sales numbers, developers will want to write software. The numbers have to come 1st, but a good and approachable SDK will get the ball rolling.
  9. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I'm aware of that and that doesn't change the fact that is not "better than the retina display" which is a completely different technology.

If you want to compare something to the "retina" display, then it needs to be a display... because it has nothing to do with "increase graphical performance" as you kindly point out.
  10. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

He was pointing out that tegra will be able to power displays more powerful than the retina display. I'm not sure why you're having trouble with this, me and the guest understood what he meant.
  11. How many developers are currently targeting WebOS?