TechSpot

HTC aims for a comeback with HTC One flagship smartphone

By Jos
Feb 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Following a string of leaks over the last few days, HTC has officially announced its newest flagship Adnroid smartphone at a press event in New York this morning. The HTC One represents the firm’s latest attempt to regain lost ground...

Read more

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

So this the bastard child of Android and Windows Phone 8?

No thanks.

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

I dont really get the "ultrapixel" camera tech...

4. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

HTC has always put out good phones. As I sell cellphones for a living, I see HTC phones a lot. The EVO and EVO 4g were some fantastic phones. I would dare say that the EVO line itself was a game changer in the cellphone world. So knowing how well HTC phones do, Im willing to give this phone a chance before I poo poo it. It looks interesting. Im kinda interested in the merger of Android and Windows. The convenece of active tiles on a Android OS sounds interesting. Oh and the useing your phone to change your TV...brilliant!! You can never find the remote!! And you always have your phone handy. Looks like HTC is trying continue to make our phones into a cover all device that helps us with more then just phone calls and texts.

5. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 411   +79

I am very interested, but will it come out for sprint is what I wan tot know.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Maybe after the release, but this rarely occurs.

7. Littleczr

I have been watching videos on youtube after reading this article and I had to clean the drool of my floor. It will come out for sprint around march.. :) shut up and take my money.

8. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 671   +96

I have a HTC phone with a 8mp camera. Surely the point of having extra MPs is to allow for electronic zoom. Granted having a decent lens is an advantage but I doubt it is technically possible to have a super lens in such a small device. Why not have a good quality lens married to a high pixel sensor? My old camera is 4MP but it does have a pretty good 10 x zoom lens but I would not consider less than 8MP for my next camera.

9. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

Impressive enough and one important item was missed out: it come with the Gorilla Glass 2 (468 ppi)!

10. lawfer

If only this were a Nexus. I just can't deal with Sense. I hate it.

11. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +751

I bet... my HTC EVO 4G spent about 5 minutes at the bottom of a swimming pool back in 2011 and it's still working fine. It was dead for about a month and then came back to life.
    Every review I read comparing the HTC ONE X to the SG3 said the screen on the HTC phone just looked better. Specs aside, the HTC was reported to have a nicer screen, so I'm looking forward to checking this out. If this thing can deliver on the camera it'll be my next phone.

That's the fun part about Android... you can load a custom ROM. HTC even puts the directions and tools to unlock your bootloader right on their webpage.

negroplasty likes this.

12. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 560   +150

"IR blaster"
    Ah, that's a feature that should be in more smartphones.
    Loved playing around with such things when the Palm Pilot had them...

13. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 533   +88

The phone looks great but I'll wait for the S4 to make a final decision if I make a decision to spend money at all.

14. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

That thing looks amazing. It even packs dedicated navigation buttons! I want one. :D Too bad it'll be $600+.. those prices really need to come down.

15. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

If you are in the USA, you can trade in your old smartphone and get a $100 credit.

16. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +391

Seriously its a smart approach for a camera. Megapixels mean nothing if the quality is bad anyway. 4 MP is plenty for people taking pictures with their phone.
    If only the consumers would buy in.

17. It's suppose to be the year of the 1080p 5inch+ phone, 4.7 is too small. :p

18. Littleczr

Can you explain? I have been wondering this since wall papers look better on my 1440p monitor, but yet my 8MP phone has higher resolution but the pictures don't look better.

19. Specs and all look great, but as usual HTC releases the phone with older version of Android, 4.1.2 not the newest 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. Which they will upgrade the OS to in 7 months or when the next generation of the OS is released. So after 7 months you get the old OS and the end of real support for your phone. That is why I will never buy an HTC phone as they have no intention of supporting their products. One OS upgrade to near absolute OS is not support

20. exozito

exozito TS Rookie

I hope it comes with a decent battery.

21. waterproof

waterproof TS Enthusiast Posts: 235

You can always install a custom rom and remove sense based android

22. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

So just like Google copied WP's tiles in their playtsore app, HTC too decided to copy the same idea from its partner MS? Overall, seems to be a nice package though.

23. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

little
    Megapixels will only help with when you blow or enlarge a picture. It doesnt help with zoom.

24. lawfer

It's not so much that I miss stock Android (I use it everyday). It's that I'd rather this device be a Nexus, for what it represents.

25. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,979   +391

8 megapixels is an uneccessarily huge resolution. 4 Mega pixels is capable of 1080p shots. Resolution isnt the single most important detail of a camera. Its the ability to capture light among other things. Something that phone cameras are bad at. Taking a 4 MP photo with a phone wont look nearly as good as a 4MP shot with a dedicated digital camera.
    Viewing an 8MP photo shot zoomed to fit on an entire 1440p monitor is scaled down a rediculous amount.

Basically, assuming the resolution is at lest 4 MP, the average user needs to worry more about exposure and stuff instead of megapixels. You will never use the whole size.

Littleczr likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.