TechSpot

HTC compares Windows Phone 7 to AOL

By Emil
Nov 10, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. HTC has been an important partner for Microsoft in the mobile space, but nobody is perfect. For example, saying that Windows Phone 7 is similar to AOL is probably not an image the software giant wants people to remember.

Read the whole story

2. Zilpha

Zilpha TS Enthusiast Posts: 319

Perhaps unfavorable headlines have something to do with this......

3. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 528   +36

That's okay. In some aspects, I compare Android to Windows Mobile. <-- That's not meant to be a flattering statement btw.

4. taea00

taea00 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102

So is HTC saying Time Warner is going to buy Microsoft out for more than the company will ever be worth again? How can they think comparing anything to AOL is a good thing?

5. customcarvin

customcarvin TS Enthusiast Posts: 103   +8

He should have just let it all out and called it an os for "dumb-dumb heads". LOL! So if Android=Google, and phone7=AOL, that makes iphone=?

Let the bashing commence....*que techno theme song* .... MOBILE KOMBAT!!!!

6. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 493   +23

My Zune HD was supposed to be good for gaming too >:[ lol and libraries. Which would you have guessed was newer?

7. Demons

Demons TS Rookie Posts: 53

I would not want my product compared with AOL. Yikes, the only people who like AOL are the people who don't know how to use a smartphone most likely... To most of the techie world who would be considering a windows phone, AOL is a virus.

8. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 159   +12

i remember receiving tons of AOL disks with free internet time when i was younger. i may have been young, 10 or 12 but i still knew not to use those CD's. having said that, lol harsh wasn't intended to be but it came out that way. IMO

9. Speaking of quotes out of context... Emil, this article is so bad! I have been biting my tongue up until now about your articles, but they just aren't up to par with what Techspot usually offers. Typically it's just grammar and spelling errors that I notice with your posts, but this article reads terribly!

This doesn't make any sense on its own, I know what you are trying to say, but through implication only. Ironically, you mention quote "context" twice elsewhere in this article.

What??? This quote didn't even answer the question that you prefaced it with!

10. fwilliams

fwilliams TS Rookie Posts: 99

40 thousand suckers and counting
    thank goodness there is a sucker born every minute, Microsoft loves all their money equally

11. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 595   +52

GASP! Teach me more, O Master of All Enlightenment!

12. hassaan

hassaan TS Rookie Posts: 90

That's a bad omen especially when I'm planning to buy my next smartphone for which Android and WP7 are forerunners. Any advice people?

13. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

I would have to agree with the guest on this one.

14. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +72

Read the reviews, try the phone if you can.

15. KG363

KG363 TS Guru Posts: 515   +9

ugh, he couldn't think of anything better?

16. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

So now AOL = something good hows that? i love HTC but where do they come off saying this? Windows phone 7 is a lot better than windows mobile but needs a lot to catch android or ios.

17. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,508   +501

I want one of this phones but cant aphord to change it again... will try hard.

18. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

@prineston
    thanks, I thought I was reading another language.

19. As a UK user of the HTC 7 Trophy on the Vodafone network, I must say a few things regarding the WP7 setup;

1. I'm very impressed with it, as a former iPhone 3Gs user (disillusioned with iOS4 & Apple's iron-fisted approach to contracts). It feels good to use, responsive multi-touch, accelerometer (sp?) and keyboard work very well (keyboard is better than iphone). Camera isn't great but that's the fault of the phone, not the OS...

2. The apps marketplace is already showing signs of promise, developers are praising it for ease of app design as well as it being easy to convert apps made for other platforms. Already things are looking promising and it's an area that can be developed easily (would like the option to sort apps in a category by rating for example).

3. There are a few omissions from the OS, all of which have been hinted at to come in later updates of the OS, remember that this is version 1.0 (or 7.0.7004.0 if you want to be accurate). These omissions include using MP3s as ringtones, tethering (not fully implemented but has been discovered), changing the default search engine.