Hulu grows by 47% in October, Google serves over 10.5 billion videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to comScore's latest data, Hulu served a record number of videos in October. Views totaled 856 million in the US last month, a 47% increase from September, giving Hulu 3.1% of the Internet video market share. Hulu's traffic surge is credited to the fall TV season as well as the addition of ABC shows through its deal with Disney. The site now features full-length TV shows from three of the top four American studios, including hits like Lost.

Despite its substantial growth, Hulu still trailed behind Google, which reportedly served over 10.5 billion videos last month, accounting for 37.7% the total Web videos watched. Meanwhile, Microsoft, Fox and Viacom each took between 1.5 and 1.6% of the pie with 407,205 to 450,957 views. Yahoo held a 1.2% share with 338,035 videos served, and Turner took 1.0%, delivering 288,070 videos. CBS and Facebook were each attributed with 0.9% of the market, and ABC represented only 0.7% of all the Internet videos watched in October.

Permalink to story.

It's because hulu is awesome when it is free and dealing with 30 second ads is worth being able to watch a show when nothing is on tv..for free. I feel, however, the surge is mainly coming because of the growing rumors there going to move away from being free and people are using it while it is.

My youtube account says I've watched 21000 videos ;p
how the hell did that happen lol

Last time I tried Hulu there were WAY to many add's on it to watch anything
do they still have that problem?

I would love to find recent info on bandwidth costs for google =) Youtube is so addicting.

paid programming on hulu now that is lame guess ill just download my tv shows like i always do.

While I don't endorse piracy of tv shows, the practice is looking mighty tempting after seeing stories like this. Why offer free videos and then make people pay? They're only going to lose customers that way. What's the point of watching paid tv shows online when you can just turn on your television? You don't get bandwidth problems watching television anyway.

Hulu is awsome. But, if it moves to a Paid Subscription service I'll be getting my TV Shows from other sources.

Hulu needs to go global if they want to compete with google.
If google showed some good series then they'll destroy Hulu ^_^ and i'm also against paid subscriptions.

I don't know about every body else but for me the movie thing has pretty much past.

I keep wondering when / If were going to start seeing a decline overall. I watch maybe 3 movies online a week, down from 10 a few months ago.

i really do not quite understand the whole hulu idea. It's good to have one place where you can watch the shows but so are most networks streaming them for free.

Pity that Hulu is limited to viewing from within the US. Puiu, I imagine that if YouTube started showing full shows, they'd also be region limited. I really hate region limitations.

ET3D, some of the official music videos and such on youtube are already, in fact been for ages, restricted by region but it doesn't bother me in my daily usage of the site in the slightest.
I do hope ( I guess hoped since Hulu won't stay free for long now) I'd had a change to check Hulu out more properly instead of just reading about it.

Regards,

The Old World.

ET3D said:
Pity that Hulu is limited to viewing from within the US. Puiu, I imagine that if YouTube started showing full shows, they'd also be region limited. I really hate region limitations.

Yeah I hate that about Hulu as well, its practically useless, I can't watch any
American shows there anyway... they can grow 1000 percent but if they are limited to only the
US then they are not going to get a big percentage anyway.

Yeah.. wish they could broadcast in europe too.. Is there a way with proxies to watch videos from that site?

Hulu is growing the same time Youtube is, Hulu is still and will be far behind no matter how fast they improved. For the reasons that youtube is more accessible, faster, easier, and not the mention that Youtube is already a household name.

Hulu is not available in europe so youtube is still the number one honcho here, plus i bet that your forced to watch ads with hulu, i hate ads, always getting in the way of my show.

I think it all boils down to accessibility. Hulu's only available in America - the rest of the world can't experience what it offers. Meanwhile, YouTube is popular across the globe.

Hulu is great ! I find it very useful for the fact that i always miss my show the following day they would have it updated ^.^

okay the reason google has a larger audience is because Hulu is only avaialble in the United States where as google is avaialable EVERYWHERE. I keep hearing about how great Hulu is but living down in Australia I cannot actually view it,.. Maybe with their new charge to view they will get a larger audience if they can open internationally, the only problem I see then is countries where people have capped internet services..once again like Australia...sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back