Hundreds of thousands may lose web access July 9 due to virus

Rick

Staff

July 9 is the day thousands of PCs (and Macs) infected with DNSChanger will lose their ability to surf the web. Although the virus was introduced in 2007, according to the DCWG's data, as many as 500,000 computers may still be infected. This is a friendly reminder to make certain your computers are malware-free and that their DNS settings are nominal.

In 2011, the FBI busted the unscrupulous band of individuals responsible for DNSChanger, shutting down their Eastern European servers -- a move which actually knocked millions of infected users off the web. Although those servers run by the criminals were used to feed infected users profitable ads, phishing attempts and malware, they also provided victims with a working DNS service -- servers which allow human-friendly hostnames (techspot.com) to point to Internet locations that computers understand (IP address numbers). 

Victims were left with computers configured to use DNS servers which no longer existed. As a result, nearly 4 million people were left without Internet access.

As a courtesy, FBI technorati organized an effort to temporarily provide DNS service for DNSChanger victims. After a period of time though, the FBI handed off this responsibility to the Internet Systems Consortium, a non-profit organization who has managed to keep the DNS flowing to infected users. However, this act of kindness will end on Monday.

How do I find out if I'm infected with DNSChanger?

Google and Facebook have been warning infected users. You can also manually check using this tool.

What should I do if I'm infected?

Visit DCWG for instructions and a list of utilities capable of removing DNSChanger from your computer. If none of these tools seem to work, your router's settings may have been changed by the virus (it does do that, believe it or not). You'll need to enter your router's web configuration (instructions vary) and change its DNS settings.

Virus scanners have been able to detect and prevent DNSChanger infections for some time now. Protect yourself!

Free anti-virus programs

Permalink to story.

It was fine this morning. foxnews had this info then, so maybe more people are testing now. keep trying

well, noone will miss these users, they deserve it !!! stop being stupid !

There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance.

Ignorance is not being educated in how to prevent this type of situation.

Stupidity is your posting.

On the windows essentials, you need to have windows update run every day to keep your antivir up to date. Avira for me is legend!

On the windows essentials, you need to have windows update run every day to keep your antivir up to date. Avira for me is legend!
That is cause MS updates the definitions whenever a new virus is added, the updates are usually small and quickly done. BTW I think it's a good thing to check your virus definitions as often as possible and that releasing updates should be done as often as well and MS does this very well. Virus update on Friday is no help when the definition is added on Wednesday and your comp gets infected on Thursday.

@Mantrhax\

Im sorry not everyone who has a computer understands it inside and out like you must. Its not needed for the general consumer. Much like a car, there is no need to fully understand how an internal combustion engine works in order to drive.
If anything....be happy that this horrible situation might help the economy. Most ppl will try and "fix" the computer themselves, however around 30-40% will just say screw it and buy a new PC.

Thank you for the reminder TS. And for the check tools ofc :)
I assume that the most victims will be mac users, due to 'no viruses on mac' believe.
Not to mention the total ignorance that I have to face with that kind of.

"slick" "fast" "apps" - thats was some of the expressions, that my friend used in therms how his dell (oldy I-core 7/W7) vs iPad2

after all hi was a victim of backdoor trojan cos of a bad 'user' habitats (the victim is the Dell, MSE 24/7 running)

this kind of ppl never learn
and we will surfer like... forever?

or just take em away :)

cant help but wonder what the real agenda is here with all the BS
we all know what the GOV. is capable of

Thank you for the reminder TS. And for the check tools ofc :)
I assume that the most victims will be mac users, due to 'no viruses on mac' believe.

I'm probably wrong here, but with all the publicity that occurs when there is a Mac issue, I thought I would have heard about this one. Especially if it has been around since 2007 and not been 'fixed'. I know Rick said Macs too, but can you cite somewhere else with some more information on this?

They mention it on the news, while being sponsored by paid anti-virus services. After people watch that news cast they'll run to the store just to spend money on another anti-virus program. Open your eyes people. It's all about the money.(y)

Instead of all the conspiracy nuts pipping in, how about a little proactive approach to the situation. You personally MAY not be infected. However the less tech savvy ppl in your family could use a bit of help. Maybe check mom and dads computer. Maybe stop by your grandparents house and make sure thier computer isnt going to crash out on them.
I mean really just because you think your safe, doesnt mean the ppl around you are *** well.

So....did anybody's computer go out? Because mine didn't.

Hmm...

"However the less tech savvy ppl in your family could use a bit of help. Maybe check mom and dads computer. Maybe stop by your grandparents house and make sure thier computer isnt going to crash out on them."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that probably no one lost internet access today due to some mega Jupiter sized worm or virus or malware that eats everything in its path including your keyboard.

Back