Hyundai shares first look at the much-awaited Ioniq 6 electric sedan

nanoguy

Staff member
Forward-looking: Hyundai is slowly climbing in EV market share in the US and Europe, and it has grand ambitions to capture seven percent of the global EV market by 2030. While a full reveal is scheduled for next month, the South Korean automaker is already teasing everyone with a first look at the much-awaited Ioniq 6 all-electric sedan.

Not too long ago, Hyundai was in talks with Apple to build an electric car. The South Korean automaker seemed interested in lending its expertise to the Cupertino giant, which had long been rumored to be working on a self-driving car. However, those discussions quickly fell apart as Apple executives were worried about information leaks. Similarly, Hyundai executives remained divided on whether or not they saw Apple as a great fit for a potential partnership.

Earlier this year, Hyundai stopped research and development on combustion engines, adding to a growing list of companies committed to going all-electric in the coming years. During its 2022 CEO Investor Day forum, the Hyundai Motor Group presented its bold electrification roadmap through 2030 that includes no less than 17 new battery-powered electric vehicles.

Today, Hyundai offered the first look at its upcoming all-electric sedan, the Ioniq 6. It looks a lot like the Prophecy concept EV it showcased back in 2020, and as noted by Top Gear, it seems to be inspired by classic, streamlined designs from the 1920s and 1930s, such as the Stout Scarab or the Tatra 87.

Details are scarce now, as Hyundai wants to make a full reveal on July 14. Still, the company did tease an ultra-low drag coefficient of just 0.21, which is among the lowest you can get with most cars on the market today. That's thanks to the streamlined design with a low nose and active air flaps, among other things.

The Ioniq 6 shares the same E-GMP platform as the Ioniq 5 crossover, which is rated for up to 315 miles on a single charge, and since the Ioniq 6 is a smaller, low-drag car, it will not only be cheaper but might also offer more range.

The cocoon-shaped interior features sustainable materials, and a couple of touchscreens give it a futuristic look. However, Hyundai design chief Sangyup Lee told Ars Technica the company opted for physical buttons for things like audio and climate controls.

"The touchscreen is great when this car is [in] stationary condition, but when you're moving, touchscreens can be dangerous. So we always think about the right balance, user experience, and the buttons and the combination with the voice activation together. In the future, obviously, voice activation is going to play the major role versus touchscreen, but this is still in transition. For us, anything that relates to the safety, we use hardware. Anything not related to safety will use a touch interface."

Production of the Ioniq 6 is expected to start next month in South Korea. In the meantime, Hyundai is also spending $10 billion to accelerate electrification and autonomous vehicle development in the US, $5.5 billion of which will go towards building a battery manufacturing facility in Georgia.

Permalink to story.

I must say that in a market that is calling for 500 miles on a single charge the 315 miles on a single charge is disappointing and needs rapid improvement in order to sell .....

"Earlier this year, Hyundai stopped research and development on combustion engines, adding to a growing list of companies committed to going all-electric in the coming years."

Good news for the companies that are selling Hyundai and the rest of the enviro-fakers engines. The all-electric future will remain a fantasy until we either settle on fuel cells or universal, quick-swap batteries.

"The touchscreen is great when this car is [in] stationary condition, but when you're moving, touchscreens can be dangerous. So we always think about the right balance, user experience, and the buttons and the combination with the voice activation together."

Finally a manufacturer decided to make sense. I had seen so many EVs (Tesla, Kia, BMW, Merc, Audi likely be more) that overly relies on the touch screen for everything, following Tesla's lead as if EVs and digital screens are synonymous. I understand some of them has sophisticated climate control, but if you don't have the option to quickly de-fog the windscreen, is unnecessarily dangerous. The car's system shouldn't take eyes off the road. If anything, a few more buttons on the wheel is better, long as it doesn't affect airbags, as at least your hands are on the wheel.

I am surprised that this car is actually projected to be cheaper than the Ioniq 5 by the authors. Mainly it just reminds me of a sports car, but it would be nice to have cheaper EV cars that don't have garbage range, but I doubt this will be anywhere close to being cheap.

This, like most Electric Cars will be a commuter car.. a 300-mile range on a charge.. 6.3 hours at 220V mean you charge it at home every third night to make your 70-mile round trip to work. (Workplaces are now installing charging stations too BTW.,,) Fast charges only take 54 minutes off a charging station, which will become more common on freeways.. So you stop for lunch or dinner.. Sounds fine to me.. 132 miles per gallon effective rate.. These days, at $6 a gallon? That sounds very nice as well..

God that is one ugly car. The love child of a hyena and a banana. The droop on that rear end is ghastly. As ugly as the original Mercedes CLS. Interior is just as bad.\

Hyundai and Kia really dropping the ball on EV design. EV6 is ugly too.

This, like most Electric Cars will be a commuter car.. a 300-mile range on a charge.. 6.3 hours at 220V mean you charge it at home every third night to make your 70-mile round trip to work. (Workplaces are now installing charging stations too BTW.,,) Fast charges only take 54 minutes off a charging station, which will become more common on freeways.. So you stop for lunch or dinner.. Sounds fine to me.. 132 miles per gallon effective rate.. These days, at $6 a gallon? That sounds very nice as well..

Until inevitably the govt jacks up all the taxes and fees to make up the revenue deficit and oh hey, hows the price of electricy going? Oh yes skyrocketing you say? Whats that about rolling blackouts? How much is this gonna cost, 50k? where are we going to get all those toxic heavy metals for all those batteries anyway? There isnt nearly enough lithium mining to go around they say.

the modern left wing environmental movement is and remains a pathetic disastrous sham.

Edit: A quick google says it's expected to slightly increase on the ioniq 5's 42k starting MSRP. When you can get a nice 40+MPG ICE Elantra or something for half that, AND it doesnt require you to wait 45 minutes for a quick fill up on a long road trip. And if you do the math you aren't making up that 20k in gas savings either. Yeahhhhhhhhh. So much for how the environmental revolution is going to be cheaper than the alternative any day now, never quite ends up that way.

Last edited:
It looks like a flattened VW Beatle. Wonder how a 6'1 built guy would fit in that thing. Also I would love to put that range to test here in southern USA where the A/C is on 24/7 :)

Also, the prices of these EV's is a great way to built inventory again. Who the f*ck wants a house payment for a car.

I'm quite happy with my 2017 CR-V I got for 16k a year back, like new and takes 3 to 4 minutes to fill up once every week or so.

"The Ioniq 6 shares the same E-GMP platform as the Ioniq 5 crossover, which is rated for up to 315 miles on a single charge, and since the Ioniq 5 is a smaller, low-drag car, it will not only be cheaper but might also offer more range."

I believe the 6 is the smaller, lower-drag car

I don't want to be stuck in traffic What you want and what's possible are too different things. 315 miles on a charge is great when comparing to the competition.
315 isn't great, my lifted nissan frontier gets 350/gallon and its a relic but bulletproof.

and yes I consider that truck competition to the newest cars because they should beat it in every way possible imo, by alot actually, I dont care how much tech it carries, a car that can barely do a day trip without needing a good while to charge in between seems kinda meh.

315 isn't great, my lifted nissan frontier gets 350/gallon and its a relic but bulletproof.

and yes I consider that truck competition to the newest cars because they should beat it in every way possible imo, by alot actually, I dont care how much tech it carries, a car that can barely do a day trip without needing a good while to charge in between seems kinda meh.

It's possible that a lifted frontier fills a different market than an EV commuter car and comparing it to an old *** truck isn't a valuable comparison at all. Sure my wife's prius gets 550 miles per 10 gallon tank, but I wouldn't compare that to a truck since they're used for different things.

It's possible that a lifted frontier fills a different market than an EV commuter car and comparing it to an old *** truck isn't a valuable comparison at all. Sure my wife's prius gets 550 miles per 10 gallon tank, but I wouldn't compare that to a truck since they're used for different things.
seems like a fair comparison to me, most of the trucks I pass by are just commuters, they haul nothing but a person.

Until inevitably the govt jacks up all the taxes and fees to make up the revenue deficit and oh hey, hows the price of electricy going? Oh yes skyrocketing you say? Whats that about rolling blackouts? How much is this gonna cost, 50k? where are we going to get all those toxic heavy metals for all those batteries anyway? There isnt nearly enough lithium mining to go around they say.

the modern left wing environmental movement is and remains a pathetic disastrous sham.

Edit: A quick google says it's expected to slightly increase on the ioniq 5's 42k starting MSRP. When you can get a nice 40+MPG ICE Elantra or something for half that, AND it doesnt require you to wait 45 minutes for a quick fill up on a long road trip. And if you do the math you aren't making up that 20k in gas savings either. Yeahhhhhhhhh. So much for how the environmental revolution is going to be cheaper than the alternative any day now, never quite ends up that way.
The modern right forever wants to use stone knives and bear skins.

seems like a fair comparison to me, most of the trucks I pass by are just commuters, they haul nothing but a person.
Okay so they're both passenger vehicles, yeah. But there's more to a vehicle than it's range. How much does it cost to fill up your truck for your 350 miles? I'd bet it's a bit more than the 10 gallon Prius right? I think that's an important metric you're missing by favoring of overall range.

Okay so they're both passenger vehicles, yeah. But there's more to a vehicle than it's range. How much does it cost to fill up your truck for your 350 miles? I'd bet it's a bit more than the 10 gallon Prius right? I think that's an important metric you're missing by favoring of overall range.
People who talk about needing extreme range miss one important point: 99% of all travel is < 40 miles per day.

If you topped off your gas tank every single day, you really wouldn't care 99% of the time if you got 350mi per tank vs 250mi. But EV users can "top off their tank" simply by plugging in every time they get home.

If they REALLY need 400/500mi range, you probably wouldn't want to do it in a tiny Ionic anyway.

Here's a scenario, a hurricane is approaching Florida, all citizens in Miami are ordered to leave and go inland as they will be in the landfall of the hurricane. They all get into their electric fully charged cars and told to go as far north as possible, Jacksonville is 340 miles approximately. They now have no battery, maybe even before, because the AC`s will be on and it will be stop start, a big battery drainer. So now they all want to charge in Jacksonville????
The hurricane is now reported to be moving north along the coast, whoops!
I think the picture is clear enough.
Until the infrastucture, grid, generators, charging points, is vastly improved, (a lot of dollars involved), electric cars are a nice to have pipe dream.
At least a gas car can be melted down at end of life and made into another new car, can you melt down batteries??

Here's a scenario, a hurricane is approaching Florida.
You can always come up with an extreme rare scenario.

The same scenario applies to people who didn't bother or were unable to fill their gas tank before evacuating. I remind you the difference in range is roughly 35 additional miles (315m range of Ioniq vs 350m gas-powered econobox.)

If someone has an EV they can always evacuate a day or two earlier if they are concerned about range.

Here's a scenario, a hurricane is approaching Florida, all citizens in Miami are ordered to leave and go inland as they will be in the landfall of the hurricane. They all get into their electric fully charged cars and told to go as far north as possible, Jacksonville is 340 miles approximately. They now have no battery, maybe even before, because the AC`s will be on and it will be stop start, a big battery drainer. So now they all want to charge in Jacksonville????
The hurricane is now reported to be moving north along the coast, whoops!
I think the picture is clear enough.
Until the infrastucture, grid, generators, charging points, is vastly improved, (a lot of dollars involved), electric cars are a nice to have pipe dream.
At least a gas car can be melted down at end of life and made into another new car, can you melt down batteries??
Replying to these EV denier posts is getting tiring.

So, you are telling us the car is not for you? That's OK. Your arguments have been presented by numerous others to whom EVs do not apply.

The way progress works is that it takes time. Just because you saw some site claiming EVs bad, Batteries bad, batteries cannot be recycled, charging infrastructure bad, charging time bad, and all the rest of the "bad" aspects those in the oil industry try to keep shoving down your throat does not mean that everyone out there who is currently making EVs is going to stop making EVs.

Personally, I trust the decisions of these car makers to continue producing EVs is more well informed than whatever site the EV deniers browsed for a very limited amount of time and found EVs bad, EVs not environmental, EVs (put your favorite EV pet-peeve here) which confirms to the EV deniers that EVs are not for them.

All the issues the EV deniers cite are being worked on and as I said above, progress takes time. One thing for sure, if EV makers were just to stop working on EVs because "EVs bad" no progress at all would be made. Yet EV deniers seem to think that doing the same things over and over and over again will produce different results. Perhaps the EV deniers should look up what Einstein said about that topic.

And, BTW, its OK that an EV is not a vehicle that EV deniers would purchase. No one is attempting to force an EV on anyone, and at least in the US, EV deniers still have the choice to buy an ICEV.

Back