I can't feel my face! (a year of bluescreens) (Windows 7) (Shoot me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnYousef

Windows 7 x64

Ok, I built a computer for my friends birthday in March.
March 2009.
Bluescreens since. I've formatted, I've replaced the harddrive, I've formatted again.
Still bluescreens. With no consistency.

Attached are the last ten minidumps, here are some of the errors:

THA LEAMSTER (9:29:08 PM): d1
THA LEAMSTER (9:29:09 PM): 4e
THA LEAMSTER (9:29:11 PM): 50
THA LEAMSTER (9:29:14 PM): d1
THA LEAMSTER (9:29:16 PM): d1
THA LEAMSTER (9:29:18 PM): 3b
THA LEAMSTER (9:29:22 PM): 0a
(please ignore his AIM name, you can prefix those with 0x)

Also, I had him run memtest 86 like a year ago on his 4gb of GSkill RAM, came out flawless... so weird. I'm about to test his ram with more, but I'd have to order it as I don't have his RAM on hand (its nice stuff, too :/)

Some of the files related have been:
THA LEAMSTER (9:25:32 PM): nvlddmkm.sys
THA LEAMSTER (9:25:38 PM): avgtdia.sys
THA LEAMSTER (9:25:45 PM): win32key.sys

None of which really have any relation to each other, which makes me suspect memory more and more...

Please help :(

(please pardon the zipped DMPs, they're 280kb each so I couldn't upload them individually!)

Attachments

• DMP.zip
    155.5 KB · Views: 1
With the various errors listed and the fact that one of these errors is 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT which may very well be the single strongest indicator of corrupted memory, I would say your suspicions are well founded.

Have you ever run memtest?

Memtest run with seven passes, my friend.
However I just had him run a VRAM test and in his words it "freaked out."
Said he got "over 32,000 errors, and then it bluescreened."

He was watching it go up while eating popcorn, said he almost choked from laughing.

205cg78.png

Yep, VRam is shot. Didn't see the part where he ran Memtest. Looks like the problem is is solved at this point.

Route44, I love you with all my throbbing heart.
I feel vindicated, because this kid has been BSOD'ing for literally a year.

Did this kid listen to your advice or is he like my brother-in-law who won't listen to me and goes out and buys a system that I could have built for half the cost and would be a better computing experience three fold?

Well, I built his first rig which lasted like two years until I decided he needed some major upgrade-age. He ran the scans for me, hes pretty bright he just doesn't do computer internals.

I built his rig around the GTX 260 (nice sale) and its so ironic thats the part thats been giving me hell for a year. So yeah, hes not your brother in law because he let me build his tower, and I'm glad I went EVGA on the card!

Lifetime warranty!

Yeah, that is a smart move on your part. You really seem to know a lot about builds and diagnostics. I hope you decide to become a regular or semi-regular contributer here. There is always something or someone that needs help. Just look into the General Hardware forums.

Good night and let us know what you did to fix this, i.e. what new video card.

Back from the dead, Route44!

So the replacement GTX 260 arrived from EVGA today. I slapped it in for my friend as we worked on AP Calculus problems. First boot, BSOD. I shook it off and said its due to drivers (I lie to myself so hard sometimes...)

Boots again, BSOD. Boots again, its fine. I run the VRAM test, it starts failing exactly where it did last time. No way in hell did I get two exactly the same faulty cards. I moved the card from the PCI x16 slot up top to the PCI x8 slot down below, still BSOD'd. I'm now suspecting the motherboard and am prepared to RMA the sucker so fast...

Attached are my two minidumps; I beg of you Route44 help me figure out whats going on... I REALLY doubt its the videocard's fault. If it helps, when I ran the VRAM test without bitmasking it passed...

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    48 KB · Views: 1
0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors.

Second error is 0xA which are caused by either hardware or faulty drivers. This one specifically cited memory corruption.

Whjat is the make and model of both memory and motherboard?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Revision 1.6 with BIOS 6.00PG.

Also, from what you're saying, I should give swapping RAM a shot?

Memory keeps popping up as an issue. If you haven't done it already check the BIOS for how the motherboard set the voltage for the RAM. Is it set at the memory manufacture's specs.

Also, is the memory listed on the qualified vendors list of recommended memory that Giga has for this model motherboard?

Qualified vendors list or not, I built an identical system with the same RAM/Mobo combo with no issues.. and after checking, G. Skill isn't on any of their lists unfortunately. I think its most likely to just be a bad stick amongst the two, but its odd nothing pops out of memtest.

I just talked to the kid who had the clone of this computer (the good clone, it runs awesometastic). I'm jacking one of his sticks for a week, taking out the two sticks in the crap twin, and putting the good stick in there. See if he BSODs, if not... I'll cry of joy. Then I'll e-hug you.

Well those lists aren't exshaustive anyway; G.Skill is good stuff. I'm still curious about the memory voltage.

As for the memory sticks, I'm getting to the point to run memtest one stick at a time regardless.

I actually toyed with that today, and if I recall I had tuned the memory to specification. I'll triple check before I swap it out for the guaranteed-good RAM... who knows, maybe the board has faulty RAM slots...

I love how in computers it can never just be the part, because theres always the chance its the part's interface lol..

Totally agree. PC: anything at anytime from simple to the bizzar and all things inbetween.

I thought about the slots as well. Look forward to what you discover.

Hey CaptnYousef !
Just found your post, and I kinda have a similar problem : my rig :

- AMD Phenom II X4 965
- Gigabyte 790FXTA MB
- 2 X 2 Gb DDR3 Ram
- ATI Radeon 4890 1024Mb
- OCZ Solid 2 SSD
- Windows 7 ultimate

I just build that rig yesterday, But I keep on booting to BSOD. I mean, everything seems fine for a while, and then many errors until BSOD. I've seen the first BSOD to report win32key.sys to be the faulty one, but never found out in google what does this file do...

Everything's fine in safe mode and the vram test seems fine.

I've yet to do a memtest...

I'm fearing the hell that it might be the SSD, Paid premium for it, it would piss me off.

Antoher problem I'm having is the highly loud AMD fan... :-/

Please keep us updated and if you have any suggestion, would be appreciated

Thanks

If by any chance it could help, the hijackthis log :

Code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 10:01:25, on 30/04/2010
Platform: Windows 7  (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SRWare Iron\iron.exe
D:\Downloads\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =****://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = ****://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =****://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = ****://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = ****://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = 
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X IDE Setup] C:\Windows\RaidTool\xInsIDE.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCSSync] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\BCSSync.exe" /DelayServices
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite\DTLite.exe" -autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: BUFFALO NAS Navigator2.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\BUFFALO\NASNAVI\NasNavi.exe
O4 - Startup: NAS Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\BUFFALO\NASNAVI\nassche.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: JMB36X - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XSrvSetup.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NAS PM Service (NasPmService) - BUFFALO INC. - C:\Program Files (x86)\BUFFALO\NASNAVI\nassvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 5696 bytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back