I Can't Set Up network between Linux & Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a AMD-K6 computer (equal to pentium 2) which is 350Mhz with a network card and Fedore core linux unstalled into it, and aother computer which is AMD-K8 1.8 Ghz with windows XP and has a network card. they are connected with a cross-wire lan connection, i can't set up the network....it is not finding an IP, not in the linux or the windows. I tried to configure Samba and nfs but it doesn't work.

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase HELP!!!!!!!
Thank you very much.(THIS IS ONLY FOR WHO HELPS)..lol.

details???

Linux-Newb said:
I have a AMD-K6 computer (equal to pentium 2) which is 350Mhz with a network card and Fedore core linux unstalled into it, and aother computer which is AMD-K8 1.8 Ghz with windows XP and has a network card. they are connected with a cross-wire lan connection, i can't set up the network....it is not finding an IP, not in the linux or the windows. I tried to configure Samba and nfs but it doesn't work.
Thank you very much.(THIS IS ONLY FOR WHO HELPS)..lol.

for starters, how did you setup the NIC on both systems? Unless your FC has DHCP support (which then requires it to boot first), you're going to need static addressing and a submask.

both systems should ping a->b and b->a

then you'll need to enable XP file sharing

.... so how DID YOU configure the IP?

I didn't configure it yet.......i tried but i thought i messed things up so i reinstalled linux, if u can please help me to start it from the beginning.. thanx a lot.

Linux-Newb said:
I didn't configure it yet.......i tried but i thought i messed things up so i reinstalled linux, if u can please help me to start it from the beginning.. thanx a lot.

let's define what you want
... two systems able to share data both ways
... BUT neither will access the Internet

One is Windows XP, the other Fedore Core {1 or 2?}

I want two systems able to share files both ways & both get to access the internet through the windowsXP system (USB dsl modem). the other system is fedora core2.

Is it XP Home or XP Pro?

The first thing you will want to do is set up Microft Intenet Connection Sharing on the XP machine. If you click on "My Network Places" there should be a Icon on the top left labelled "Set up a home or small office network". Click on it and follow through the wizard. When it asks how you connect, chose the top option that says something about this computer connects to the internet and another computer connects through it.

After you get that all set up, reboot your Linux box. Log onto the box as root. At a command prompt type in "ifconfig". Beside the eth0 entry, see if there is something beside the inet addr entry. It should be either 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x.

At that point the two should kinda be talking. You should be able to access the internet from the Linux box and you should be able to ping each other.

The easiest way to access Windows shares from a Linux box that I have found is a program called "LinNeighborhood". I think it is on Sourceforge, but I'm not sure.

I'm still having fun with Samba to set up my Linux shares so I'm a little weak on that side. If I have time and luck, maybe I'll make up a tutorial.... maybe.

It is windows XP PRO.......when I activate the network at the linux system it lags at the step "Determining IP information for eth0", and the windows doesn't configure the IP...it appears 0.0.0.0.

thank you for ur help..

Linux-Newb said:
It is windows XP PRO.......when I activate the network at the linux system it lags at the step "Determining IP information for eth0", and the windows doesn't configure the IP...it appears 0.0.0.0.

thank you for ur help..

get one running at a time. Get XP to access your ISP and email.
Config the NIC to use DHCP
you should get a gateway address, dns address and an IP address.

Iam still at this linux things..or the networking ^_^, but i kinda wanna learn how to do it...so if u could kindly tell me how to Config the NIC to use DHCP I would be gratefull.

Thanx a lot

jobeard said:
get one running at a time. Get XP to access your ISP and email.
Config the NIC to use DHCP
you should get a gateway address, dns address and an IP address.

on your XP system;
Start-> Network Connections -> right-click Local Area Connection
at the bottom, select tcp/ip and then the Properties button

You can then select
...Obtain IP and the DNS Dynamically

unplug the ethernet cable
wait 30 sec
plug it back in

your browser should be working.

Next, how are you going to wire the system(s)?

modem--xp--linux will require TWO NIC cards in the XP
modem--router---XP
....................+--Linux will require one NIC per system + one router.
the latter is a better choice.

Linux-Newb said:
kindly explain to me how to Config the NIC to use DHCP I would be gratefull.

You can't use DHCP for your Linux machine, unless you have a DHCP server (router or server). You will have to manually configure your network card using the "ifconfig" command.

Open up a terminal and type "man ifconfig" to find out more.

He can always share the Internet connection with ICS which will act like a DHCP is running on the XP machine.

X11 tools

PanicX said:
You can't use DHCP for your Linux machine, unless you have a DHCP server (router or server). You will have to manually configure your network card using the "ifconfig" command.

if your willing to read like crazy, you can configure anything manually, but once the X11 environment is running, it's so much easier to use the GUI tools to setup the network.

STATIC IP addresses (ie manual cfg) also allows you to forget about DNS for your systems as you can map them via the /etc/hosts file

You people really helped me out.....the internet is working in both computers. but i can't share the files and the printer. (the dsl modem uses USB not ethernet card).

thanx a lot

Using Windows and Linux in a dual boot condition.

I am still a Newb at linux so I want to try using it to learn, but I also need windows for certain tasks.

I have a AMD-K6 350MHZ which I have linux fedora installed into it...I want to install windows in a dual boot (I saw it at my friend's PC).It has a 20GB HDD and 4GB HDD. It is partition in this way:-
for the 20GB HDD:
/dev/hda/boot ext3 100MB
/dev/hda2/ ext3 7669MB
/dev/hda3 swap 768MB
NTFS 11463MB

For the 4GB HDD:

NTFS Partiton.

I want the windowsXP installation at the first NTFS partition.

thanx a lot.

The best way to do it is to install Windows first. I would split your 20GB HDD into two 10GB partitions.

Install Windows into the first. After it is up and running, start the linux installation. Linux is alot nicer with other O/Ss than Windows it. Most linux installations will see the Windows partition and offer to install LILO or GRUB (boot managers).

The linux installation will also take you through setting up the linux partitions.

After both is up and running, boot into Windows and write a signature to your 4GB drive and format NTFS.

If you don't have anything important on the drives, this will be the most painfree and solid way to install a dual boot.

I've done it like this a few times using Windows 2000 and VectorLinux as well as Redhat and Mandrake.

For sharing files, you will need to set up Samba on the Linux box. I use LinNeighborhood on the my Linux box to access the Windows shares. It lets you set up mount points so the Windows shares appear just like a folder (makes life easier).

PanicX said:

just to be clear, DHCP is available in almost all routers, and as users with
multiple systems need a router, most multiple system users have DHCP available.

Linux GUI tools makes DHCP easy to configure, much much easier than ifconfig.
:approve:

I've never had a problem with ifconfig myself. I have had problems with the GUI though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back