I desire help untying a hd knot

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i'll try to make this as plain as i can.

- there are 3 hard drives involved here: C, D, and E

- C and D are IDE drives. E is a sata raptor drive.

- xp lived long on C, but it was time for a change, so...

- circa 2007 xp is installed on E using sata drivers from floppy

- Jan 7, 2008 xp crashed on E, so I started fresh on D the next day

- Jan 7, 2009 11:30 pm antispyware 2009 malware suddenly pops up when i'm not even using my computer, as if it was on a time delay or was hunting for me. it blocks access to anti-malware progs and any associated websites, etc. (anyone heard of this?), prompting a fresh install of xp on E using sata drivers integrated into install cd. i only did it that way b/c setup would read drivers from floppy in the very beginning, but not after i had initiated the install process. i couldn't format C or partition anything, so i had to install xp on D, overlapping the install killed by malware, just to make the special cd

so now i have a dual boot system that i never wanted. i would like to remove/format C and D, but after some trials, it turns out that i need BOTH of them in order to boot xp on E. i would guess that C hold the boot files and w/o D, those files are unsure how to handle E. in that light, i'd be making good progress if i can eliminate D from the loop somehow.

Drive info:

E = Disk 0 = boot. ntfs. basic. i marked it as active, but it is still labeled 'boot' and now the option to mark as active is unavailable.

C = Disk 1 = system. ntfs. simple volume. dynamic

D = Disk 2 = active. ntfs. basic.

Boot.ini says:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

the default is E. the other is from D. i actually deleted the windows.1 entry at the bottom, but apparently it didn't take.

i can't do anything at all to C in disk management. i could format D, but that might make booting from E not work. i'm concerned that i won't even be able to put the MBR on E because of the issues w/ sata drivers, but since i never see options for repairing xp when i boot from my install cd, i really don't know.

i'm sure somewhere along the way i could've done things differently, but alas, there was always some obstacle keeping me from doing what i wanted (setup can't format drive, setup can't partition drive, setup can't load drivers from floppy, not enough space on disk, ignorance, etc.)

btw, i understand that the simplest solution is probably to wipe everything and reinstall xp w/ just one hd installed. but with my luck lately, i'd probably have some problem i couldn't resolve. besides, i would rather not give up on the knot so quickly. what fun is that?

anyway, i would greatly appreciate all the help i can get in untangling this knot i've created. and if anyone can tell me how to remove the bug that has 2 years in a row caused me to spend my birthday reinstalling windows, that'd be great too. ;)

I got lost halfway through your explanation but most of the time if you would like to boot from a particular drive you simply make it the primary and then do a repair install on that installation to rewrite the boot file apprropriately. Also pay close attention to your hd jumper settings so that they are set properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back