I keep geting blue screens when I play games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntentes

for awhile now i've been getting these blue screens when i try to play games like spore or sims or something like that! it started wheni was playing spore it worked well and after a few days every time i tried to go to the second stage it turns into a blue screen! after an even longer time it started getting blue screens every time i tried to turn it on. i tried reinstalling windows but that didnt work so i got frustrated and now i need help!

please

heres what it says in dxdiag...i got all the stuff i thought might be important

device
name:radeon 9600 series
chip type:ati radeon graphics processor agp(0x4150)
dac type:international dac(400mhz)
current display mode:1280x1024(32bit) (60hz)

processor: amd athlon(tm) xp 3000+, mmx, 3dnow, ~2.2ghz

Bios:phoenix - award bios v6.00pg

operating system: Microsoft windows xp professional

memory: 768mb ram

directx version: directx version 9.0c

if you need anything else from me to help fix just reply

This sounds like it might be a video card driver issue for if I read your post correctly this only occurs when trying to play certain games. Have you tried updating your video card drivers?

If not do the following:

1. Find Driver Cleaner Pro online and down load and install the free version. I load it to my desktop screen for easy access.

2. Download the latest drivers for your video card but don't install the new drivers.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot into Safe Mode.

4. While in Safe Mode let DCPro do its work. If it doesn't find any left-over drivers that is quite okay.

5. Reboot into normal mode and install your latest drivers.

* Let us know if this corrected your issue. Also, the rule of thumb for XP gaming is 2 gigs of RAM.

i got that driver cleaner pro

i dont know what the latest one is ....can u find a website that has it and post the url for it
im scared ill get the wrong one

im so embaressed because i dont know how to do all this stuff

can u give me steps on how t do the safemode thing too
i feel like an *****

can route44 reply

now i fixed everything i think because all alon i had a radeon 9700 driver not 9600
if it still doesnt work ill reply

nope it didnt end up working ill try and stick with the old plan
but the one thing is that i dont know how to do some of that stuff

do i clean all of the ati stuff or everything on the list....
can u give me a list of what to add to the list for things that i need to clean

Follow the steps I've given you. Uninstall you ATI drivers, reboot into Safe Mode and use DCPro. It will prompt you either clean ATI or Nvidia drivers. Pick the correct one and let it do its job. If it doesn't find anything that is very okay. RTeboot into normal mode and install new drivers.

ONLY UNINSTALL YOUR ATI DRIVERS.

Print out the steps I've given you and you should be okay.

it doesnt prompt me... i have to turn it on myself to work it
its ok i will pick all of the things in the list with ati in it

so i did what you said and now i am going to try to install the new driver (readeon 9600 series)

nope didnt work...have any other plans

okay, tell us what happened. Also...

We will need your minidump files to help.

Go to My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files we need, not the Minidump Folder. Attach the files to your next posting, there will be an Attachment Button below as you respond. You can attach a total of 5 mindumps per Zip.

these are the first five in the list

the sixth to tenth

the 11th to 15th

the 16th to 20th

the 21 to 25th

the 26th and past

thats all there is!
i hope i sent all of the right stuff!

Yes, it is the right stuff but for future reference you can Zip five minidumps together. That being said I only read the first 5 and they all pointed to the same ATI driver: atiduag.dll

The error codes are 0x8E and 0X7F and they are mostly due to hardware issues. from further research it can be caused by bad RAM.

So run Memtest on your RAM

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download their latest ISO version and burn to a CD. It is a free utility.
2. Place CD in drive and reboot. The test will take over.

3. Let the test run for a minimum of 7 Passes (8 individual tests per Pass). This takes a long time but well worth it. Many people start it before going to bed and check it the next morning. It is completely safe.

4. If you have any errors you have corrupted memory that must be replaced. Also, with errors run the test per stick of RAM (remove one and run the test; switch) to determine how many sticks are bad.

* Get back to us with the results.

Memtest is a free and completely safe test that will run your RAM through 8 individual tests which equal one pass. If it shows errors you have to replace your RAM.

I've given you the link. Now look for the latest ISO version and download to your computer. Place a CD into your drive and burn memtest onto a CD. Reboot with CD in your drive. The test will take over. Let it run overnight and check it in the morning. It is quite safe to do so.

so i run the tests and it will tell me the error and if there is one you can tell me which ram i have to buy

i just put in the disk reboot the comp and sit there and let it do all the work

another question...how many sticks of ram do i have(im not sure if you know) and how do i switch them if i have multiple ones

Go to www.crucial.com and let them scan your system for free. The scan will tell you how much memory you have installed and what kind. Write the information down in case you need this information.

i cant figure out how to reboot with the cd

1. Place the CD in your DVD/CD drive.

2. Close said drive.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Let the system start-up and Memtest should begin before your system has a chance to get to the load screen.

5. Let it run for a long, long time. Again a minimum of 7 Passes. Let it run all night and if you don't have 7 Passes by the time you get up let it be. If it goes beyond 7 Passes that is quite fine.

* Tell us if you get any errors.

i left it on for over 19 hrs...
and heres what it said
errors
test 1: 27
test 2: 1920
test 3: 1941

and then it went all the way up to ten but they were all 0

Your RAM needs to be replaced because corrupted memory can't be fixed. How many sticks of RAM do you have? Open the side of your case and look in. Take one out or get someone who knows how and run memtest again one stick at a time. This will tell you what stick(s) need to be replaced.

Go to www.cucial.com and let their free system scan scan your computer. This is quite safe. It will tell you how much your system can handle and what kind. Write down this information.

oh no i know how many i have.
i have one 256card and one 512card.

do you just pull it out(the ram cards) or is there a special way you have to take them out

oh no i know how many i have.
i have one 256card and one 512card.

do you just pull it out(the ram cards) or is there a special way you have to take them out

If you look at your RAM sticks there are two clips, one on each side. Unhook them and pull the stick out.

Make sure you ground yourself before doing so by touching either your case or power supply. Run Memtest on just one stick and if you get errors on that stick then that one needs to replaced.

Try the other stick. When you put it in make sure it lines up (there will be an open slot on your RAM stick that will correspond with the motherboard's RAM slot), push it firmly in (but don't force it), and the locking brackets will snap into place.

Run memtest again. *** Read the link in its entirety * http://www.trap17.com/index.php/how-replace-ram-pc_t27796.html

here are some pictures of the inside of my pc.
do you think you can point out where the ram cards are?

Okay, first I would get a can compressed air from such stores as Staples, Walmart, etc. and clean that dust out! Don't shake the can, don't turn the can upside down. Just get the dust out of your system.

Second, those cards you see aren't "RAM cards." They are your video card, sound card, etc. RAM are sticks and look like the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=17&name=Memory (click link). They come in many colors.

The board that the cards are set in is your motherboard and the motherboard is attached to the other case panel. That square fan that you see in the motherboard is actually where your Central Processing Unit (CPU) is. Your Athlon 3000 sits under that fan. To the left of the CPU is most likely your RAM sticks but I can't see because of the angle of the pictures and your cables to your harddrive, etc. are in the way.

Take another picture with a direct view, move aside those cables, and take a pen or pencil and point to where you think the RAM is.

Okay, first I would get a can compressed air from such stores as Staples, Walmart, etc. and clean that dust out! Don't shake the can, don't turn the can upside down. Just get the dust out of your system.

Second, those cards you see aren't "RAM cards." They are your video card, sound card, etc. RAM are sticks and look like the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=17&name=Memory (click link). They come in many colors.

The board that the cards are set in is your motherboard and the motherboard is attached to the other case panel. That square fan that you see in the motherboard is actually where your Central Processing Unit (CPU) is. Your Athlon 3000 sits under that fan. To the left of the CPU is most likely your RAM sticks but I can't see because of the angle of the pictures and your cables to your harddrive, etc. are in the way.

Take another picture with a direct view, move aside those cables, and take a pen or pencil and point to where you think the RAM is.

its ok thanks anyways but i found where they are...they were right behind all of those wires sticking out!

i have a 512 and a 256 and right now im running the test on the 512 alone and it seems like there are no errors on that one. im on the second pass so im gonna keep it going and if its fine ill check the 256.

if one of them are broken, what specifications does the ram card need to have if i buy a new one?

if one of them are broken, what specifications does the ram card need to have if i buy a new one?

That depends on your motherboard. Remember that Crucial link I gave you? Do what I suggested and copy down the information when the scan is finished, but lets see what Memtest says first. We'll take it from there.

By the way, I ment to say right of the CPU fan because I knew that was where your RAM was.

for it to work do i have to have 2 ram cards in my computer because i finished the memtest and the 512 is perfectly fine so i tried playing one of my games (doesnt require alot of ram) with only the 512 in and it still didnt work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back