TechSpot

I: task manager/desktop disabled by virus II: windows won't boot

By rb7pk
Jan 16, 2010
  1. I have a Gateway FX530XG running Windows XP Media Center Edition. My computer was infected with a virus or viruses that resulted in my task manager and desktop being disabled.

I followed the instructions in this post: (techspot website)vb/topic106235.html

I followed Blind Dragon's suggestion to run Malware and remove the infected files. Afterwards, I got a popup telling me that Malware needed to restart my computer. I restarted, but now XP won't boot. The OS recovery disk that I got in lieu of the standard XP disk only presents me with two options: a Full System Restore or a Full SYstem Restore (with Backup). Neither option is attractive. Is there anything else I can do?

Largely Unrelated Note: Two? years ago I had a problem with the computer wherein it would power on but not even attempt to load windows or boot up (the monitor never got a signal, but the computer was obviously on) The internal system emitted a series of evenly spaced beeps (three I believe). This problem persisted for a week and then disappeared. Shortly thereafter I experienced the problem where XP wouldn't boot, and attempted to solve it with the OS Restore disk but it failed and resulted in a repetition of the initial problem. Long story short (I know, too late) I ended up having to send the computer to Texas for replacement. I'm thus hesitant to trust the Gateway OS disk at present.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.