I think I need help, Not sure where to post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay hi everyone I just got a p4 2.8 pc from dell okay this is what happen, I personally do not like the XP that came with dell, so after I got it yesterday I instantly reformatted, I inserted my XP Pro and format the dell xp and install a fresh XP Pro.. so the problem is. u no those sound drivers and lan things that came with motherboard? its not found.. and I do not know the drivers name at all for any of them... what can I do to install these drivers? no the dell doesnt give me discs to install any drivers, and i tried doing that add new hardware thing its still not working, still has that yellow question mark on the device manager,

any helps?

Your Dell didn't come with driver discs? My dell(2yrs old) came with at least 10 cds of drivers for video, lan, modem, and programs, etc. You could look on the dell downloads page for your pc, or look up the name of the entries in dev. manager and google it to find drivers for it. Example, Broadcom Network card model xtzdsaddwhatever, google "whatever the model is drivers", find site with drivers, dl and install.

i was saying to myself that it was funny it came with no driver disks, my cuzion had driver disks to, could all the drivers be on the reformation disk

What I suggest is that you call Dell and theu will help you get the drivers for the XP, They not not support 3rd party but they do best effect to help, If you need drivers they will help you. Call 1-800-822-8965

If you wanted XP Pro, you should have ordered it from Dell with XP Pro pre-installed.
Or bought the parts and build your PC yourself.
Sorry, but what you did is plain stupid!

You want XP Pro, why? Because you don't like Home? Do you know the difference?
It is hardly anything visual, it is all 'under the hood' and not that much extra anyway.
You know nothing about drivers etc. but hey, who cares, you have a (legal ?) XP-Pro CD, so format the Dell and hope for the best...
Whomever paid for that PC will be quite pleased, I guess (or not).

I don't know about the op, but I know that some people buy Dell (or whatever brand) pcs and the first thing they do is install a fresh copy(legal or not) of windows xp(or 2000, or 98se, or linux, etc, you get the point). The xp that comes with these computers is bloated with crapware they include, I think I saw someone say a dell xp install is only 80% as fast as a clean xp install.
So if he just wants a clean start, and no junk programs cluttering his hard drive, and wasting resources, then it wouldn't be that bad of an idea to reformat. Doing it just to have the "pro" version is somewhat pointless if it is a home pc.

Sorry, but what you did is plain stupid!

Wow dude have you ever use dell xp home? Use it and tell me how it's like, before you judge my stupidiness, fyi the computer is free from freedesktoppc (gratis), and I do know the difference from home and xp. I just didn't like the dell xp home, they have bunch of ****s installed, thats y i wanted to format, all I'm asking is a solution; to find/install these drivers without calling dell ( which I doubt they'll support me ). and like I said I double check there's no driver discs included.....

Are Dell PCs that bad now, that they GIVE them away for free?
Maybe I jumped a bit too hard on you, without knowing the story, my apologies.
In MY country, nothing is free unfortunately, except the rain at night.
'nuff said.

Go to the Dell website, select support and punch in your service code (it's on the case). Your present configuration will come up with all the installed hardware shown. Select Update Drivers and have at it. Also, I am sure Dell would help you by sending the necessary CD w/ all drivers regardless of how you got the PC. Dell is, or at least was, the best at support. If they won't support you then chalk it up to a lesson learned, get the drivers off their website and reload them. Then, repeat 100 times to yourself, "I will never buy another off the shelf PC and will build my next rig myself." Hell, if you're loading the OS and all the drivers then you are already half way there! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back