TechSpot

I want to buy a new video card (I have now a 430 GT)

By MaXXvEQQ
Jun 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I3-540, 3066MHZ
    ASUS -
    P7H55
    430GT​
    HUNTKEY H-102
    450W CHIEFTEC​
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,825   +1,436

What do you want the new graphics adapter for?
    If the card is for gaming, which games and what resolution do you intend on using?

Do you have a particular budget in mind for the card?
  3. MaXXvEQQ

MaXXvEQQ Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

1. for gaming

2. My screen IS FULL HD- 3D 27'

3. HD 7850 - 7950 - 7970 \\\\\ GTX 570- 560- 580

4. 600-700 $
  4. cliffordcooley

Unfortunately you just went outside my range of knowledge. Hang tight and others will jump in to answer your question.

I do have a pretty good idea the 450W power supply will probably not be enough for those cards listed.
  5. MaXXvEQQ

yes, the power supply is Weak.
  6. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TechSpot Booster Posts: 325   +46

well for any of those cards I would suggest a 550-650 watt PSU, I prefer OCZ and thermaltake, but just checkout the reviews on different models at newegg and tigerdirect. Can you give me your CPU model? I can tell if your gonna bottleneck any of those cards then.
  7. MaXXvEQQ

I3-540, 3066MHZ
  8. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TechSpot Booster Posts: 325   +46

I would say 7850/6970 or a 6850, on the nvdia side a gtx 560ti would be a great budget/power balance with the max nvidia card I would suggest being a gtx 570, your dual core will prob bottleneck those cards on some games that are very multi-thread oriented, luckily you have hyperthreading too help. don't forget u will need a new PSU for any of the above cards.
  9. MaXXvEQQ

help???!!!!!

what to do???
  10. cliffordcooley

What are you thinking?

It's not easy for us to advise, when we don't know what you are thinking.
  11. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Did you not read the post above?
    A 7850 or GTX 570 are good suggestions, anything higher and your CPU might start to bottleneck the system.

Since you have $600-700 to spend, I'd put $100 towards a decent PSU (avoid OCZ though unless it's the ZX series), e.g. the Corsair TX650v2 or a Seasonic X650 if you want a quality modular PSU. You should then save up a bit more and think about upgrading that CPU to a quad core Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge.

12. MaXXvEQQ

7870 stronger than 570gtx??
  13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,819   +651

14. shossofe

shossofe TechSpot Member Posts: 49

Is there a reason to avoid OCZ PSU's? I bought one several years ago and never had any problems so far.
  15. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

The ModXStream failed [H]'s review, their lower end PSUs have been shown to use poor quality components. Plus OCZ as a company are renowned for poor customer service, questionable business practices and buggy SSD firmware.

For PSUs you very much get what you pay for, the slight extra for a Seasonic based unit with a 5+ year warranty is well worth it.
  16. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I'll add that most Enermax, Corsair (VX, HX, AX), Seasonic, Antec HCG (especially the HCG-620) are also worth considering. I wouldn't use OCZ PSU's if you plan to overclock. 550-650w is more than enough for your system.

I use a Antec High Current Gamer (HCG) 620W PSU myself. Really the only downside to this PSU is the fact its non-modular, so you'll have a lot of leads to hide away in smaller cases. Otherwise it gets very good reviews and is well recommended.

The Antec HCG-620 is made by Seasonic and based on its Seasonic M12II-620 PSU, save for a few differences due to being OEM built for Antec.
  17. TechGamer

TechGamer TechSpot Booster Posts: 411   +34

I was thinking if your going to try to put a gr8 gfx card you should first try putting atleast an i5 2500k 200$ which wont bottleneck the gfx card

best thing since you have a decent budget to spend will get u on the top of the game charts Just put a decent quad core cpu and maybe if your a fan of overclock start doing it to and then just put in a gfx card which these days a buncha 250$ gfx cards will get u far
  18. tweakboy

tweakboy TechSpot Maniac Posts: 518

Grab a 460 1GB and youll be set. for 120 dollars or soo.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.