IBM Deskstar as Slave Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help. I have a AMD XP2600+ system running Windows XP Home Edition. My SYTEM REGISTERY because corrupted and the system would not boot up – in a continuos loop.

The system had two (2) IC35L060AVVA07-0, IBM DESKSTAR, 60G Drives.

I have these drives backed up about 95% but there is some data I would like off the drive.

Since the “C” Drive system registry is corrupted I removed it and replaced it with a Maxtor 40G Drive. I next tried to connect the old IBM “C” drive up as a slave in an attempt to recover some data from it.

I’m having tremendous problem getting the system to recognize either of these two drive as a slave drive.

With the:

Maxtor - Master

IBM - Slave

The IBM tried to BOOT

Maxtor - CS

IBM - Slave

The IBM tried to BOOT

Maxtor - Master

IBM - CS

DISK ERROR

Maxtor - Master

IBM - CS

The Computer BOOTS, The IBM is listed in DEVICE Manger as Installed and
working properly but no DRIVE LETTER Shows in MY Computer.

Maxtor - Master

IBM - Forcing Device 1

The Computer BOOTS, The IBM is listed in DEVICE Manger as Installed and
working properly but no DRIVE LETTER Shows in MY Computer

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

Use Partition Magic to convert the "active" partition on your IBM HD.
Keep the Maxtor as you Master and set the IBM to CS.

In Partition Magic click on Disk 2 (=IBM) and select the partition that (on the right) says "Status Active". Now rightclick it, select Convert and then Logical Partition.
When PM is done, you should get a drive-letter for your IBM-partition and you can remove the data.

If you use the CS setting, then you should set all your drives to CS. This should avoid any problems that may arise if the drives both become set to Master (or Slave) since it is the position of your CS drive on the connector that determines whether it becomes a Master or Slave.

I had searched the net for hours trying to find an answer to this problem and ran accross this post. Great solution. I have PM, but not installed on the new drive which, of course, will be installed very quickly.

Thanks,

Walter

:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Glad we could help you out. Hope to see you stick around. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back