IBM Desktop can't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good days..
This is a strange computer. It only start when it want. If not, whatever I do, it reject to start.
The most common condition is when i plug the power cable, the CD-ROM led start to blink (I didn't press anything yet) followed by all keyboard's led to on and off repeatedly.

Other condition is that nothing happen. And it refuse to boot.

Any idea on this problem?
Thanks

I tried the tricks from your link (like holding the start button for a while). It looks work in the first time but after I restart, it doesn't work anymore.

Had an OLD IBM quite a few years ago that was like that.Had to play with it for a long time to get anywhere with it. Turned out to be a power switch was bad. Clipped some wires and installed a small toggle switch to replace it. Wasn't pretty, but worked.

Check the motherboard... Old IBMs were infamous for blown capacitors in the power supply on the motherboard.

I'll bet ten bucks you've got blown or bulging (tops bulging outwards, rather than flat the way they're supposed to be) caps. I just had an IBM tower in two days ago with the precise symptoms you mentioned. Pop the side of the case, sure enough the caps were bulging and there were brown crusties on 80% of the caps.

The capacitors are those little blue or black pop can looking things on your mainboard. They help regulate/filter the power going to your board.

Alrite, I'll try removing the battery this time.
Anyway, for Adweston. The computer is quite old but the motherboard is upgraded already. but, I'm interesting to know more what else are the possible cause. If as you mentioned, I have to throw away the motherboard or I can repair it?
Thanks

You might be able to repair it if you're good with a soldering iron and can source out the exact caps. Personally I wouldn't bother, but you might find it a fun project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back