Ibm laptop going into hybernation after installing acpi driver

By alidabiri
Dec 8, 2007
  1. hi,
    i have an ibm thinkpad a21m that was put together (mobo, hd, ram, cd, floppy, etc.). installed xp. worked fine. it had "unknown device" on device manager. i used msinfo32 to identify that it needed acpi (advanced configuration power interface). i installed it. the unknown device error went away. when i restarted the system, it keeps going into hybernation after 2-3 minutes. i unplugged cmos and main battery. reset hybernation option to never, reset all the bios to default. still goes into hybernation. my question is: would it go into hybernation if the cpu gets hot? or is there another problem that i'm overlooking?
  2. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

Most likely an overheating issue. Someone answered your post on another forum with good info so I won't retype it:
    Also look at the bios settings to disable anything related to Hibernation.
  3. alidabiri

alidabiri TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 441

thanks. i have a feeling that's it. because we installed a new cpu on this thing. my son told me that he doesn't think that he put enough thermal paste between the heat sink/fan and the cpu. so, i'm gonna look into that.
    thanks agian.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.