TechSpot

IBM supercomputer overtakes Japan's Fujitsu as world's fastest

By Leeky
Jun 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. IBM's latest supercomputer, Sequoia, has taken the crown as the world's fastest supercomputer in the TOP500 List after achieving 16.32 petaflops. That was enough to beat Japan's Fujitsu built supercomputer and marks the first time in over two years the US has…

Read more
  2. "But can it play Crysis"
  3. peperonikiller

peperonikiller TS Member Posts: 75

Maybe on high... maybe
  4. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 353   +40

Pretty sure a lot of things can play crisis now.
  5. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 968   +99

oh god hahaha

"for carrying out simulated nuclear weapons testing"

Typical.
  6. I used to have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop that was quicker, had to let it go after my leg vaporized.
  7. How many AA batteries you need to power it for a day?
  8. But the ultimate questions is...............will it blend?
  9. bandit8623

bandit8623 TS Rookie Posts: 45

ahh good old IBM P-series still kicking ***
  10. "I used to have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop that was quicker, had to let it go after my leg vaporized."

I still have mine running like a champ, after so many use.
  11. yRaz

yRaz TS Booster Posts: 907   +94

Depends on the settings. For anyone with a setup worthy of playing crysis they have atleast a 1080P monitor. Therefore, there is still no single-gpu solution that can get the magic 60FPS in crysis at 1080p

source:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/7

12. Opus

Opus TS Rookie Posts: 39

That kind of horse power is amazing.... I would love to compile my programs on that kind of machine... Awesome...
  13. Some world class comments for a wolrd class supercomputer, 20 petaflops of compute power, wonder how many digits of pir it can calculate in 1 minute.
  14. Still too weak to play Tetris...
  15. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,845   +674

I presume you mean Pi.
    This supercomputer obviously isn't designed for such frivolous tasks. Extending the life of the United States aging nuclear arsenal is a much more noble cause- I mean, you can't advertise a W80 Mod 1 as having a 150 kiloton yield if radioactive decay means that it might only be 145, for instance.

/post may contain traces of sarcasm
  16. How about Notepad and Tetris in 1080p?
  17. May not be worth feeding trolls, but it's not a matter of 145 vs 150 kiloton yields. Due to a lot of factors there's an open question as to if some older ones would still detonate at all. It might be asking far too much of hippies to comprehend, but the use of nuclear weapons isn't their value in war, but their political value of their existence and effectiveness. The nuclear umbrella and blank-check promise of support has kept Japan and South Korea both at peace for half a century, and was the only thing stopping the Soviets. But I know, historical facts, boring.

Furthermore, liberals should embrace it, because if we can be absolutely certain of the effectiveness of existing warheads then we don't need to plan to keep extras in reserve for that hypothetical war that should never happen and still be seen as having an effective deterrent. IE, this allows nuclear disarmament to continue its slow march forward.
  18. John Senchak

John Senchak TS Rookie

But can it run Windows 8 ??
  19. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 TS Rookie Posts: 60

Yes but not Vista
  20. The supercomputer in question is NOT for modelling nuclear weapons, where did that red herring come from?
  21. a typical AA battery provides roughly 2.4 WHs; this would mean it would take 3,287,500 AA batteris to run this device.
  22. Previous guest:- I understand that AA battery is system of anti-aircraft guns, what does WHS stand for please?
  23. W.H. Smith, it's a newsagent/stationers
  24. So each stationer/newsagent is roughly equivalent to 1369791 & two thirds anti-aircraft batteries?
    What has that to do with the IBM Supercomputer?
  25. Does anyone remember that 80's movie called "WarGames"?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.