TechSpot

IBM to build the biggest data drive ever

By Shawn Knight
Aug 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. IBM is in the process of building the largest data repository ever constructed, with a combined storage capacity of 120 petabytes. The facility is being developed at the company’s Almaden,…

Read the whole story

2. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

now thats what I call a ultimate machine for p0rn

3. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 365   +40

Imagine how fast of a network you would need to be able to handle that much data. A few high end routers and switches aren't going to cut it for this massive storage center. I would think that you would need a really good stock of raid cards for this array, and an even larger supply of hdds.

4. Wow, Replacing failing drives is going to be a full time position. I wonder if they are hiring.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Someone wanted to have the entire internet available in offline mode.

6. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

haha always handy incase alien attack us! :p or what not...

This isn't impressive IBM, go and do that with SSD's, once you get 120Petabytes worth of SSD's then come back and show off.... damned

Jokes :p

7. How someone can do a backup of this ???

8. war59312

war59312 TS Member Posts: 70

No need though.

All the data itself is replicated though out the system. So basically it's self sustaining.

9. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TS Enthusiast Posts: 127

This comment made me happy.

10. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

The maintenance bill for this beast would be gigantic, must be a government sponsored project

I thought that as well :)

11. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,060   +76

+ 2

Especially if atrix's reasoning is taken into account ;)

12. aspleme

aspleme TS Member Posts: 56

Close... 1024*1024*120 = 125,829,120 Gigabytes... although I would be curious to find out if that is before or after formatting... or if their storage space considers the fact that drives tend to be sold reporting size based on 1000 bytes to a kilobyte, etc, not the 1024 actually measured, thus selling a drive with a higher number of gigabytes than it actually has.
    If the drive sizes are actually based on 1024 for each step, we have
    135,107,988,821,114,880 bytes
    vs
    120,000,000,000,000,000 bytes
    if we say 120 petabytes on the 1000 base for each step.
    On this scale, that is
    15,107,988,821,114,880 bytes missing from the reported size.
    or about 13.42 petabytes... missing.

13. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

OK professor, anywhich way you do the math, its still a bucket load, plus "the system should not lose any data for a million years" now thats impressive. I'd be interested see how they came up with that figure

14. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 197

Why would it last a million years, when I'm almost certain that in no more than a 100 years, someone will invent a new drive that stores more data, faster, in a safer way, an so on...

15. How many songs will it hold?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.