IDC: Apple outshipped Acer in US during third quarter

By Matthew
Oct 14, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. According to IDC's estimates, Apple managed to outsell Acer in the US this summer, surpassing the Taiwanese manufacturer to become the third largest PC vendor. Cupertino shipped 1.99 million machines and claimed 10.6% of the market, besting Acer's 1.95 million sales and 10.3% share. Apple also experienced the largest growth of any system builder (24.1%) in the US during the third quarter.

Read the whole story
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,576   +863

Does the news always have to be this grim? Couldn't you find something a bit more upbeat? :suspiciou
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,050   +84 Staff Member

Sorry. Did you hear about that magical event Apple has planned next week?
  4. captaincranky

Why, I daresay I did. As I recall, I've provided a bit of thoughtful commentary on it as well.....:rolleyes:
  5. Matthew

:( That's the only bright spot on my calendar this month.
  6. captaincranky

In that case, I suppose that November is something we should eagerly await. Or Should we.......:suspiciou
  7. Matthew

Nah. Not until February -- Jobs' birthday.
  8. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

The only thing I love about apple is how they appeal to some of the most and least productive people all at the same time. So does PC, but I mean, who cares if your pc isn't all pretty?
  9. captaincranky

Hope Springs Eternal.......

A video podcast of Jobs getting a barium enema, now that would cheer me up. :haha: :wave:
  10. captaincranky

Ooooo, look at the pretty white iPad
    White is typically used to hide lousy body work in the automotive trade. I think they should supply a blood stain screensaver for all Apple products.. Name the screen saver you say? Oh well, if I have to, "Monthly Delight".. Yuck.....! (Holding it's nose with one hand, while grabbing it by the string with the other smiley goes >>> HERE<<<).

Wait, my mistake, that would be for the "iPlug"......
  11. mccartercar

mccartercar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 111   +15

Its funny how that statement above looks, "According to IDC's estimates, Apple managed to outsell Acer in the US this summer, surpassing the Taiwanese manufacturer to become the third largest PC vendor."
    Never knew Apple to sell PC's, but what do we call their units?
    I'm going to go ahead and throw "Overly Priced Hype Machines" out there and see if it sticks.

12. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

They ARE "personal computers" by definition of the phrase, although "PC" is often thought of as other things. What's more is, the internals of all of their computers are -- for all intents and purposes -- PC hardware as well.

There's very little distinction between the two aside from price, package, features and support.
  13. captaincranky

Yes, Macs are ever more so PCs now, with the prevalence of the Windows OS and Intel CPUs I say eliminate the middleman, and vote "no" to white hardware.

I find the hypocrisy of supplying "Boot Camp", so that Mac owners can run Windows, then badmouthing Windows malware issues in their advertising, overwhelmingly off putting.
  14. mccartercar

mccartercar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 111   +15

My post above was sarcasm. Of course they are PC's. Its just silly from a marketing stand point to call them by a different name just to gain market share as a unique computing device instead of calling it what it is. Just don't call that apple fan's laptop a pc and all will be well.
  15. captaincranky

Yeah right, but who says that all needs to be well.

BTW, how mucha thet thar white PC ya gots in yer lap costed ya? Y'all shoulda buyed yerself a black one.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.