IDE ATA100 DH compatible with ATA133 Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit

IDE ATA100 HD compatible with ATA133 Controller?

Hello!

I recently read a thread here that asked if an ATA133 drive would work on an ATA100 controller...

And I have the exact opposite question. Will an ATA100 hard drive work on an ATA133 controller? I desperately need a new system and the motherboard I'm thinking about buying only has one ATA100 controller, but it has two ATA133 controllers. If I had, for example, three ATA100 drives, I would have to put at least one of them on the ATA133 controller.

(I tried to add a link to show you all some pictures of my poor laptop that is falling apart, but I think it wont let me... but I definitely need a new system)

So as I start to buy parts for a new system, I may refer back to this forum. You guys seem to be pretty friendly and knowledgeable. Thanks! :)

Rabbit said:
Hello!

I recently read a thread here that asked if an ATA133 drive would work on an ATA100 controller...

And I have the exact opposite question. Will an ATA100 hard drive work on an ATA133 controller? I desperately need a new system and the motherboard I'm thinking about buying only has one ATA100 controller, but it has two ATA133 controllers. If I had, for example, three ATA100 drives, I would have to put at least one of them on the ATA133 controller.

(I tried to add a link to show you all some pictures of my poor laptop that is falling apart, but I think it wont let me... but I definitely need a new system)

So as I start to buy parts for a new system, I may refer back to this forum. You guys seem to be pretty friendly and knowledgeable. Thanks! :)
Yes, it will work. I have never seen a controler yet that was not Backwards compatible.

It will work indeed, but, if you put an ATA100 together with an ATA133 on the same IDE-channel, they will both run at the speed of the slowest, which in your case is ATA100. No big deal really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back