TechSpot

IDE ATA100 DH compatible with ATA133 Controller?

By Rabbit
Dec 13, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDE ATA100 HD compatible with ATA133 Controller?

Hello!

I recently read a thread here that asked if an ATA133 drive would work on an ATA100 controller...

And I have the exact opposite question. Will an ATA100 hard drive work on an ATA133 controller? I desperately need a new system and the motherboard I'm thinking about buying only has one ATA100 controller, but it has two ATA133 controllers. If I had, for example, three ATA100 drives, I would have to put at least one of them on the ATA133 controller.

(I tried to add a link to show you all some pictures of my poor laptop that is falling apart, but I think it wont let me... but I definitely need a new system)

So as I start to buy parts for a new system, I may refer back to this forum. You guys seem to be pretty friendly and knowledgeable. Thanks! :)
  2. Yourm8e

Yourm8e TS Rookie

Yes, it will work. I have never seen a controler yet that was not Backwards compatible.
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

It will work indeed, but, if you put an ATA100 together with an ATA133 on the same IDE-channel, they will both run at the speed of the slowest, which in your case is ATA100. No big deal really.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.