TechSpot

Ideal Windows 2003 server parameters

By MilindCD
Mar 22, 2010
  1. Hi All,

I am completely new to this forum, hence i do not know whether i am posting this question in the right forum or not, but yet here it goes....

I would like to know if there is anything called as an Industry standard for Server CPU and memory utilization?
    if yes, what is the ideal CPU and memory utilization?

i have searched on the net but could not find any specific details.... i am looking for these as I have to monitor the CPU and memory utilization of servers at my work place...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Milind Deshpande

2. ucould2

ucould2 TS Guru Posts: 271

3. MilindCD

MilindCD TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the Link. i checked the same and it gives me details of the CPU of the device.

What exactly I am looking for is whether there is any industrial standard for the CPU and Memory utilization.

We measure the CPU and memory utilization of our servers on a daily basis, we have set a standard of average 70%. I would like to know if this is correct?

Also, different servers have different utilization, e.g. SQL servers show more than 95% average. This is the main concern.

Once again thanks for the help provided.

Thanks,
    Milind Deshpande.

4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,387   +105

5. MilindCD

I guess my question is not clear...

Is there is an industry standard for CPU and Memory utilization?
    e.g. if the CPU utilization of a server is consistently 100% then this is a concern. Similarly what should be the limit beyond which the system administrator should be concerned?

thanks,
    Milind

6. MilindCD

i am not looking for methods of finding out the CPU utilization, we already have a tool for the same, which generates the report and a graph which lets us the details.

7. ucould2

ucould2 TS Guru Posts: 271

here is another link http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/DesktopGrid it is possibly not exactly what you are talking about but there may be some similarities in the end result, although this deals with down processing or the processor work to be carried out when the CPU is idling. Hope it is worth the read

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.