Identifing my webcam and finding its driver

Luisppk

Hi everyone.
Completely new here, and I'm posting because of a webcam that says 'easy to use' and 'just plug an play'.
Of course it's a lie and the reason I'm here.

This is the camara: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...C-Black-color-For-Computer-PC/1033802109.html

ID: USB\VID_1908&PID_2311&REV_0100
USB\VID_1908&PID_2311

I have driver identifier and driver easy. Neither of them give me a solution.

-----

Here is what happens with my brand new webcam:
As it says in the seller's webpage, win 7 ultimate 32bit installed automatically the driver for this webcam as soon as I plugged it in the pc.
Audio works.
But... Skype can't recognize the video and neither yawcam.

So... anyone can help me?

note: I tried it in an old win xp pc and it works. Slowly, but works.

Moderator note: Moved out of this thread: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-identify-your-webcam-and-then-find-its-driver.123880/ to avoid confusion with recent posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
When connected, your cam appears to Windows as two different devices. Open Device Manager
> Under Imaging Category, you should find an entry for the cam video
> Under Sound Category, you should find an entry for the cam audio

BOTH devices only appear in Device Manager when cam is plugged in. They will BOTH disappear from DevMgr when the cam is unplugged from the USB port

Verify you see both devices in DevMan. A good way to test is you found the right to entries for your cam is by unplugging/replugging the cam. Verify both devices appear/disappear in sync when you unplug/replug the ca

Did you find both device entries in DevMan? Does any device display a colored icon? (acolored icon implies driver error)

Finally, for both devices, right click each device->Properties then the Driver tab. Who is listed as the Driver Provider of for each device?

Hi, sorry for the delay...

driver provider= microsoft

Is the one my win7 32bits install automatically as soon as I plugged in the webcam, but skype can't detected.
Sound works fine.

There are two different devices and drivers involved: one for audio and one for video. So I'm not sure from your answer, but be sure you are checking the driver and status of the video device (located under Imaging category)
> Does the VIDEO device show driver provider=- Microsoft?
> When you right click video device->Properties, on the General tab does it say device is working properly?? or does it show a device error number?

There are two different devices and drivers involved: one for audio and one for video. So I'm not sure from your answer, but be sure you are checking the driver and status of the video device (located under Imaging category)
> Does the VIDEO device show driver provider=- Microsoft?
> When you right click video device->Properties, on the General tab does it say device is working properly?? or does it show a device error number?

1. Yes. In win 7 ultimate - 32 bits, under Video Driver provider it shows microsoft.
2. Yes, it says is working properly, and when I try to search for newer driver, it says it is up-to-date.

...and that is the reason I'm here asking what to do... Y_Y

PD: if you need re-re-confirmation I can take an image of what you ask and place it in here.

Thanks for that info. I've now got that question clear.. as to the rest of the puzzle, well, will give it my best try..

Your info tells me your cam is currently using the Windows generic video driver that comes in Win 7. Most simple cam vendors design their cams to work with the Windows driver, so they don't have to develop any driver themselves. (On the other hand, Logitech is one of the companies that develops alot of its own hardware specific drivers in order to provide more functionality then what's provided by the the Windows generic video driver)

That said, I'm guessing your cam didn't come with a CD? And the vendor said all you need to do is plug it in? Those are strong indications it's designed to work with the Windows driver. And driver status says "it's working".. so next question, is why is it not?

Do the apps (like Skype) say no cam found?? Or other error message? Or you mean you're just running the app and get a blank / black screen (with no other application error messsages appearing?)

Yes, thats exactly what is happening.
As shown in the link of the webcam page, they didn't send me anything, except the cam.

In skype, the cam seems to work for about 2 seconds... then freezes the image, and a black one appears with the message:
"can't start video. Try closing other programs that might be using your webcam".

Of course there is no other program using it... or at least I think so.

by the way...
Thks very much Y_Y

----
EDIT:
I forgot!

I try to use Yawcam to watch the video on the internet.
I managed to do it succesfully with a logitech webcam, but when trying with this one, Yawcam shows a message about being unable to make it work, despite the webcam is on the list of availables.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a test with WebCamViewer. Looks like you already tried something similar. But let's try this too

Exit Skype (so it's not running) You can right the Skype notification icon in bottom right of screen. Click Quit.

See HERE. Download the zip file, extract and try the viewer. What's the error message (if any). Let's also see HERE. We'll see if anything interesting or useful in Windows Event Viewer.

Well, I download the webcamviewer.
Same as skype, it worked for 2 seconds and then freezes completely. So, after using the button 'disconnect' I try to connect again, but appears the message:
'Cannot connect the device. The device may be already in use.'
:D

About this, seems strange that the camera shows in the webcamviewer 640x480 as the top video quality.
Here is what the seller's specifications said about it:
Specification:

1. Resolution: 30 mega pixels (Software Enhanced)
2. Image Sensor: 1.3 Mega Pixels CMOS VGA Sensor
3. Max Dynamic Resolution: 1600 X 1200 pixels
4. Max Static Resolution: 3648 X 2736 pixels
5. Interface: USB 1.1/2.0 compatible
6. Frame Rate: 30 frames/Second
7. Dynamic Range: Larger than 72db
8. Signal Noise Ratio: Larger than 48db
9. Brightness/Color: Auto Adjusting or Manual Mode (optional)
10. System Requirement: Windows ME / 2000 / XP / Vista(32-bit) / Win7

Ah! ...by the way, sound works fine.

and about vino' event viewer...
My pc is in spanish and because of it, an error message shows up everytime y click on 'run':
VEW has not been coded for your language

Here I add the data obtained with DevManView:

USB vídeo Device Microsoft usbvideo Image Imaging devices USB\VID_1908&PID_2311&MI_00\6&25330822&0&0000 0000.001d.0007.008.000.000.000.000.000 0x000000a4 0x00000000 No No 02/11/2014 12:29:02 a.m. 06/11/2014 08:41:18 p.m. USB vídeo Device 6.1.7601.17514 usbvideo.inf USBVideo.NT 21/06/2006 02/11/2014 12:29:03 a.m.

USB2.0 PC CAMERA Microsoft usbvideo Image Imaging devices USB\VID_1908&PID_2311&MI_00\6&2ed809f9&0&0000 0000.001d.0007.002.000.000.000.000.000 0x000000a4 0x00000000 No No 04/11/2014 02:49:38 a.m. 06/11/2014 08:41:18 p.m. Dispositivo de vídeo USB 6.1.7601.17514 usbvideo.inf USBVideo.NT 21/06/2006 04/11/2014 02:49:39 a.m.

USB2.0 PC CAMERA Microsoft usbvideo Image Imaging devices USB\VID_1908&PID_2311&MI_00\6&37ecb8c7&0&0000 0000.001d.0007.007.000.000.000.000.000 0x000000a4 0x00000000 No Yes 08/11/2014 01:38:42 a.m. 08/11/2014 01:38:44 a.m. Dispositivo de vídeo USB 6.1.7601.17514 usbvideo.inf USBVideo.NT 21/06/2006 08/11/2014 01:38:44 a.m.

1) DevManView shows us the cam is connected and detected and the Windows generic video driver is loaded. p.s. You're seeing 3 "instances" of the device - which is OK. If you look at each instance in DevManView and look at the Connected column. Note only one instance shows Connected = YES (that's the "active" instance we care about and its OK)

2) We'll look at Event Viewer the "old fashioned way".
> Repeat the cam error. Note the time
> Open Windows Event Viewer: Click CtlPnl->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer. Expand the Windows Logs (in left pane) and you'll see Application and System isted. Those are the logs we will check
> Click on Application. Many entries appear. Click Filter Current Log and check boxes Critical, Warning and Error. Click OK
> Are there any entries at the time of the cam error? If yes, double click it. A pop-up window opens describing the error. Click the Copy button (lower left corner of window) and paste any error(s) back into your next post
After you check Application, also open the System log, and check for any errors at the time of the cam error.

3) You can also check what programs are using your web cam. See HERE. It should just be the one test program. Do you see any other program?
Event Viewer.jpg

Hi, sorry for the delay, but I had a chance to make a technician took a look at my webcam, so I prefer to wait until hear his opinion before doing anything else.
Well... on saturday mornig I gave him my webcam, and just today he tells me:

- This type of camera is very simple and it doesn't need any driver, except what windows detects (as normal). I'll tried on different pc's and on different versions of windows (xp, vista,7,8), and it works extremely slow and keeps freezing after some seconds.
So, is true that this webcam may has problems with the software, but it also has technical issues. I suggest you to go for the guarantee (if any).

-----

So, I got the camera, return home and just mailed the seller about all what the technician said to me.
I hope, we find a solution.

Thanks for your time and everything you do to help me.
I'll return as soon as I have an answer from them, just to keep you informed.

Thks again.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the update.

Yea, it was seeming that the problem was with the web cam. I hope you can get it resolved / another from the web cam and then web cam with ease! :)

Back