IE 6 very slow loading pages and won't load secure pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi newbie here so go easy on me :wave:

My mum has a realtively newly built PC (about 2 weeks old), and has XP Professional installed along with Norton Antivirus 2003.

She is using dial-up internet with an external modem, and although her default homepage (bbc) loads straight away after that browsing becomes progressively slower and slower. Some pages do not load up at all after a while and she is forced to turn off her connection and try again. She cannot access any secure sites at all (for her internet banking and buying things). She has cleared her cache to no avail.

I have been told to see if a firewall is blocking secure ports 443, 84 and/or 8443. I'm not sure how to check that? I'm not even sure she has a firewall installed at all?

Should she try Mozilla Firefox? Should I install Norton?

I've checked her dialup internet provided (lineone/tiscali) and there appears to be no problems?

Help :grinthumb

When you say they won't load, what exactly happens? Does it give an error message of any kind or just hang on a blank page?

Dial up is treacherous in loading large pages with many images and in some cases websites offer you the option of reading the page in HTML (basically plain text) rather than flash, (as in weekly circular type ads displayed with pictures). This because dial up really can't handle the bandwidth required to display display flash properly.

Firewalls are usually set to permit or deny internet access to certain programs. Windows comes with a half a**ed firewall, although you may have an aftermarket program installed.

Most websites don't gear their content to dial up internet any more, as it's nowhere as prevalent as it once was. They're expecting broadband traffic, and design their sites accordingly.

"Flash" is an animated imaging program, published by the Adobe corporation.

That is so true. I remember when I had dial-up I could literally go have a cup of coffee and still not have some pages completely loaded when I got back. Web pages are much bigger now compared to then. I imagine if I had dial-up today I would probably just use it for email and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back