I'm having a problem with my new computer, artifacts and crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobaltViper

When I play a graphics intensive game for longer time (somewhere between one and two hours) my PC will freeze and the screen wil show artifacts, the only way to recover is to reset my PC is using the reset button on the frontpanel of my case.
My first thought was that it's my GPU, but I have no way to test it, what are your thoughts on the problem?
System:
CPU: Intel C2d E8500
GPU: Asus EN8800GT 1GB
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
RAM: 4*1GB Corsair PC6400 800MHz DDR2
I still have warranty on all the parts, but I want to be sure I'll be sending in the right part.

Another question, if I get my money back for this card I was thinking of upgrading the GPU to one of three options:
One MSI 8800GTS 512MB OC
Two MSI 8800GTS' 512MB OC
One 9800GX2

Thats likely, but it could be because you have too many other things running in the background. My PC(which is now fried) used to have like a gajillion things in the background and i couldn't get anything to run correctly

Try going into the task manager by logging in to your account and then pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del. Then delete processes that aren't needed

Be careful because this could make something fail. Here are something that SHOULD NOT END:

explorer.exe
rundll32.exe
systray.exe
ccApp.exe
nvsvc32.exe
SavRoam.exe
NicConfig.exe
ANY svchost.exe
isass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
smss.exe
csrss.exe
System
System Idle Process

I've tried monitoring my GPU's Temps but I haven't found a program that works, I've tried Everest and some other things, I can't remember exactly what. And about the processes I strongly doubt that's the problem, I have 4GB of RAM so it seems to me that stuff should be fine. Like I said this only happens during games. I've tried running Orthos for about 7 hours on the stress some RAM option and for shorter periods (4 hours) on blend and that was just fine.

Also I can't complete running SuperPi on 32M

Using Vista 64bit

Check out V-Tuner 3...

*Edit*

Also, perhaps SpeedFan or Samurize.

If you can't get any software to monitor your temperatures, try increasing the cooling capabilities of your PC and see if your issue clears up. For instance, if you're in a cold climate open a window or two where your PC is and let the room temperature drop. Also, open the side of your case and set a standard house fan a few feet away on high. Then, bundle up and get your game on :D.

I'll check out those programs, and I strongly doubt my PC cooling is inadaquate. I have the Antec Nine Hundred wich has 4 case fans, 2 intake 120nn fans on the front, One outtake 120mm on the back and one 200mm on the top.

It very well may not be, however, your description fits the bill. If you don't feel it is the correct path, feel free to take an alternate route. :) Just don't kick yourself in the a** too hard when the simple solution turned out to be right all along.

I can't tell you how many times I've ruled something out without actually checking, thinking it was common sense or impossible, only to feel foolish hours or days later when the first thing I thought of and dismissed was correct. :D

I would definitely chalk overheating as a suspect... The graphics card itself, in particular.

From my own experiences, the most likely cause is a failing video card. 'artifacting' and freezing are the same symptoms I've seen on a number of video cards that worked fine after being RMAed and replaced. Warranties are often 1 year.

And of course, check to see if this happens in OTHER games and uninstall/reinstall your drives (A newer version and an older version) and see if you have different results. This will help rule out software issues. A clean install of Windows, video drivers and your games would be the best way to rule out software issues.

If it is under warranty, I'd send it back and get a replacement as part of the troubleshooting process (one of the first steps, IMO).

Even if you are running a few processes and have 4 GB RAM, it is likely that you are playing a graphic intensive game on high settings. try lowering the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back